Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tool for polishing?

CarRacer

I always see polishing parts as a way to ensure reliability but what tools are used to get this done?

I know a dremel or a wheel for a bench grinder are options. What's the best way to accomplish occasionally needing to polish gun parts?

Thanks for any info,

James

cratex bars, ceramic/india/hard arkansas stones, and smooth cut files are what I have used.

If you got some time go to Brownells.com look around at what they have. It's always fun just to look through their catalog. :cheers:

I've never wet sanded before, I'll have to read up on that.

What about using polishing compounds? I haven't used those either. I'm mostly familiar with using air tools from working on cars, quite the different animal than guns.

600+ wet and dry sandpaper on a piece of plate glass works good for flat surfaces. For irregular shapes like a barrel feed ramp, start with a craytex bit on the dremel then go to a felt wheel with semichrome polish. That will give you a mirror finish. For polishing with dremel I find high speed works better.

Edited by ltdmstr

I like a fine paper also, usually put a little light oil or Kerosene from the parts washer. Glass is a good idea for larger flat surfaces.

Small parts I have a metal block or the Drill press table. Simichrome on a terry cloth rag for fine hand polish, wheel with polishing compounds. Be careful with a wheel as you can round surfaces that you didn't intend to. A cut up old belt works good in a vice to hold parts if your hand polishing.

Use a six inch long 1/8th drill rod in a Dremel with a strip of paper to polish inside frames, mag wells, inside slides etc. Change the paper for a large patch with compound to finish.

Don't rush a project, A Dremel can ruin a part as fast as it can fix it. Harder to put metal back that take it off.

How do you know when to move to a finer sandpaper? Eg 800 grit, then 1200 grit then 2000 grit

How do you know when to move to a finer sandpaper? Eg 800 grit, then 1200 grit then 2000 grit

Sand in one direction with coarser grit. Sand 90 degrees to that direction with next finer paper. When all the scratch marks from the first paper are gone go to finer paper, rotate part so you can see when coarser scratches are out. Continue till you are happy with the result.

With some practice you will know when to change grits by how the part looks under strong light.