Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 327, 8shot, good to go?

mikeAZ

Anything wrong with a S&W 327/8shot for ICORE?... Seems 8 shot 627's are very hard to find. I had a guy offering me what turned out to be a S&W 327/8shot, moon clipped, w/ a 5" barrel. I don't hear anything about this model???...Info please

Mike NM, I have seen them and shot a couple of them. They shoot well and can be accurate once you get the loads worked up. I think they might be a lightweight material (Scandium possibly). One of the early fixes for the worrier of the flame cutting the frame was an added steel at the cylinder gap on the top strap. I never saw a great problem with it, but then again all I shot was Carbon and Stainless Steel Revos. Grab it and play.

One of my LGSs has a Taurus 8-shot model he is getting tired of sitting on. I could probably get it for under $500. I know it would be below S&W quality but how far below? I have a couple Taurus revolvers that are good solid guns but I don't put them through nearly as many rounds as a comp gun would be put through. Not even to mention dry fire practice.

Just putting this up here as an alternative to the unfindable 627 8-shot.

Edited by aandabooks

I own a few of the 327 TRR8 models, and they are one of my fav. revolvers hands down, I've used them a few times for USPSA and they work well, but - they are light weight, and depending on how hot you load, the recoil is a little more apparent over the all steel 627 model.

I went out and bought another 627 just for the USPSA change, and I'm keeping my 327s for steel challenge.

I own a S&W327PC model with alloy frame, titanium cylinder and barrel shroud. Great gun, comes back on target faster than my 627. It has a Lothar Walther barrel and has a preference for plated or jacketed bullets.

I know I am helping thread drift but glad to see info on taurus. Had a opportunity to pick up and 608 recently for 350 and passed due to a 686 no dash walking into the shop for just a little more...went with the 686 since have been wanting one for years and would have had to do something about ports on the 608 anyway

I have a 327 PD. Not shot it much since I've not got it cut for moons yet. Only used wadcutters and my light SC load so recoil isn't an issue. Mine is 4", wish it was 5" or even 6" still it balances and transitions well.

I own a few of the 327 TRR8 models, and they are one of my fav. revolvers hands down, I've used them a few times for USPSA and they work well, but - they are light weight, and depending on how hot you load, the recoil is a little more apparent over the all steel 627 model.

I went out and bought another 627 just for the USPSA change, and I'm keeping my 327s for steel challenge.

alecmc,

Was it primarily the weight difference to mitigate recoil that prompted you to go with the 627 for USPSA or was there concern for the durability etc as well? I am actually considering a 327 for USPSA due to the lighter weight for quicker handling but I am new to the game and may be missing something obvious.

BHill

alecmc,

Was it primarily the weight difference to mitigate recoil that prompted you to go with the 627 for USPSA or was there concern for the durability etc as well? I am actually considering a 327 for USPSA due to the lighter weight for quicker handling but I am new to the game and may be missing something obvious.

BHill

Bill, the weight primarily , but I also wanted my uspsa 8 shot minor gun to have a 6.5" barrel to match my 625 with 6.5" barrel. I've just grown to like the longer sight radius for USPSA and wanted the option to put one on without butchering up one of my 327 trr8 that I use for steel challenge. I've also reduced the weight even more of my 327s by putting in titanium cylinders.

I have no issues with durability at all with the 327s, I've used them in USPSA with minor 38 short colt loads with no problems, and also plenty of " knockdown steel " competitions with the 128 PF loads.

I've seen no issues with flame cutting into the scandium frame, but it does have a little insert above the forcing cone that protects it. I've also never shot any 357 magnum loads out of any of my 327s, and I do not plan too. These are competition guns and not self defense guns.

alecmc,

BHill

Bill, the weight primarily , but I also wanted my uspsa 8 shot minor gun to have a 6.5" barrel to match my 625 with 6.5" barrel. I've just grown to like the longer sight radius for USPSA and wanted the option to put one on without butchering up one of my 327 trr8 that I use for steel challenge. I've also reduced the weight even more of my 327s by putting in titanium cylinders.

I have no issues with durability at all with the 327s, I've used them in USPSA with minor 38 short colt loads with no problems, and also plenty of " knockdown steel " competitions with the 128 PF loads.

I've seen no issues with flame cutting into the scandium frame, but it does have a little insert above the forcing cone that protects it. I've also never shot any 357 magnum loads out of any of my 327s, and I do not plan too. These are competition guns and not self defense guns.

( plus , it was a good excuse to buy another s&w )

:devil:

I definitely understand that! Thanks for the information. I doubt that flame cutting would be an issue and I would be shooting minor loads with it as well.

• 3 weeks later...