Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Nation Outlaw Matches?

Weight and looks are but one way to judge "carriers". I "hope" the Boomfab carriers work out okay.

Kurt, I just read the manual on my new smoker...you are right, it says to never spray with water. :)

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, I'm not sure how the logistics of extracting only the semi-pro shooters scores from those matches would have worked to end up with semi-pro points winners from each major match.

Yeah, thats a tough test of Excel skills that might take a novice a full 2 minutes... ;)

Of course, I'm not sure how the logistics of extracting only the semi-pro shooters scores from those matches would have worked to end up with semi-pro points winners from each major match.

Yeah, thats a tough test of Excel skills that might take a novice a full 2 minutes... ;)

What's "Excel"?

MarkCO.....this thread has my vote!

Well really outside or the A.M.U. guys and the Miculek,s there aren't any "Pros" I am not taking away from the fact that they are great shooters, they just aren't really pros . Every last one of them has a real job to pay the bills from Sterling's cat carrier company to Jesse being paid to show off ( like Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit). I think they should be able, as talented amateurs, be able to shoot any match they wish.

Edited by kurtm

Well really outside or the A.M.U. guys and the Miculek,s there aren't any "Pros" I am not taking away from the fact that they are great shooters, they just aren't really pros . Every last one of them has a real job to pay the bills from Sterling's cat carrier company to Jesse being paid to show off ( like Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit). I think they should be able, as talented amateurs, be able to shoot any match they wish.

That's exactly what I was getting at when that amateur national championship came about. In glad we can agree on that!

If I had to shoot for a paycheck id be a lot skinnier.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Well we don't really agree on that, because you align yourself with being a pro. That is what you call yourself, that is how you sell yourself, that is how you identify yourself. With that in mind, why would anyone allow you into an amateur match? You yourself claim to be a "pro". I am not doing this to pick a fight with you, I mearly pointing out that you really cant run both ways and not expect to be excluded from some stuff because of your "status". There in lies the division of the fact of the matter ( really not a pro as in make a living at it and identifying yourself as one).....where would you personally draw the line, and I am seriously just asking and not just picking on you like usual.

Edited by kurtm

This Pro, not Pro stuff is tough to figure...The first time I was told...and had to pay and play as a Pro, was in 1992 at The Masters match.

Something like if you placed in the top 20% at X Y and Z event you could only enter as a Pro with the attendant larger entry fee.

At one time Canon Professional Services expected you to earn better then %50 of your income from Photography in order to qualify as a Pro.

So what is the definition? Self-Declared? As prescribed by another entity? What the dictionary says? Percent of income derived from shooting?

I guess the true definition would have to be figured out if that convoluted. While I want to play against you guys at an "outlaw" match, I'm not sure I want a whole NFL team there knockin over USC at a designated semipro event. And actually was just a question on how points would work since they would be in the "pro" series as well.

Well we don't really agree on that, because you align yourself with being a pro. That is what you call yourself, that is how you sell yourself, that is how you identify yourself. With that in mind, why would anyone allow you into an amateur match? You yourself claim to be a "pro". I am not doing this to pick a fight with you, I mearly pointing out that you really cant run both ways and not expect to be excluded from some stuff because of your "status". There in lies the division of the fact of the matter ( really not a pro as in make a living at it and identifying yourself as one).....where would you personally draw the line, and I am seriously just asking and not just picking on you like usual.

I only call myself a Pro because the Pro Series. It's the closest thing we have to a true "Pro" league in the sport. Hopefully someday it will be full of guys in their early 20's making a living ventilation pizza box tangos.

My whole point in this arguement is that it's impossible to draw a line in the sand. There are a bunch of good shooters such as yourself that choose not to participate in the Pro Series. There we a bunch of top semi professional pistol shooters that could do better than most at an amateur 3 gun event too. You simply can't have an amateur only event in a sport where like you said all but a handful are truly amateurs by definitions.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I guess the true definition would have to be figured out if that convoluted. While I want to play against you guys at an "outlaw" match, I'm not sure I want a whole NFL team there knockin over USC at a designated semipro event. And actually was just a question on how points would work since they would be in the "pro" series as well.

The regional matches are not designated semi pro events. They are open to everyone. I am certain you will have guys like Keith, Taran, Kalani, Rustin, Chris, Ravin, BJ, Adam, Tyler, Joel and Daniel there because the prizes are going to be ridiculous, their sponsors will want them to attend since they are paying a lot of $ to help promote the event, and they are going to be really fun matches. So nobody is going to be able to do like they could last year and try to pick a match to attend that was easier to get points in so that they could qualify for the qualifier. If you don't have the skills to shoot in the pro series you really don't want to compete in it. It's hard, it's fast, and even for guys like me finishing top 20 or better it feels like you got your ass kicked all day cause it's so damn competitive.

Well they aren't open to everyone. First you have to be a member of 3-Gun Nation, so what you are describing is a private club series..not a true open to anyone. Then at first you can only sign up as a semi pro so it is even more limited as to how you can compete

Here is a million dollar question.....

After talking with Rob R at TFD he said that he won't allow any RO's shoot for score in a match, and that he would just pay the RO's and have them get whatever from sponsors. Granted that was concerning the pro series RO's.

Will RO's for these matches be able to shoot for score and points?

Well they aren't open to everyone. First you have to be a member of 3-Gun Nation, so what you are describing is a private club series..not a true open to anyone. Then at first you can only sign up as a semi pro so it is even more limited as to how you can compete

That's just like USPSA nationals. You get a free magazine for being a member so its actually free.

I'l just say this...competition between matches, styles, organizations, is good for us, and the sponsors. I don't want to see 3GN drive all the other matches out of business, but a few would be good. I don't want a one-size fits all match style nor a one organization control of the sport. That is but one reason why "outlaw" is good and why we vote with dollars. There are several majors that I would not pay a dime to shoot (for various reasons not allowed to be discussed on this forum) and others that I would pay more than the current fee to shoot (because they are that good). 3Gun Nation has benefited ALL of the matches whether people want to admit it or not. But now that 3GN is operating exclusively, some of the matches that previously were full as sell-outs might not be. There is more than one MD that feels like the Prom King just copied their homework and they did not even get so much as a wink for it. The other kicker is that the smaller matches have lost a significant amount of prize table stock to 3GN in one fell swoop. Is that good or bad? That is a question that might be answered in 2014.