Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Nation Outlaw Matches?

So will The Regional Match in August at Rockcastle be taking the place of the AR15.com match usually held the following weekend ?

Most certainly not. The AR15.com/ Rockcastle Pro-Am is the 4th weekend as always.
That close together will be difficult for many to attend both matches due to work constraints, travel time and expenses,..... Love shooting at Rockcastle and loved shooting the Pro-Am this year. Considering the already established match that sells out in seconds, I would have thought scheduling those two matches further apart at the same venue would have been a better idea.
The Rock Castle 3 GN Regional was scheduled by request..it will be two weeks of fun....if you make both OUTSTANDING, however if you only make one then that is GREAT also, please keep in mind it all about growing the game of 3 Gun. Edited by csole

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why drive 9 hours each way?

They won't let me fly the plane, I like my rectum unmolested, and I don't trust someone else to take care of a case with $8-10,000 worth of guns and ammo that I worked hard for. I haven't flown since 1993 and didn't care for the experience back then.

Plus, I bought a little Escape that gets around 30mpg and can listen to books on tape on the road if solo. It cost around $150 round trip for fuel and the number of days off work (what hurts the most) would remain the same regardless if I flew or got up early and drove.

You can shave a day or two by flying and you'll be more refreshed if you do. But if you simply won't fly like a lot of us then I guess it's on you to decide if you can handle missing more work.

It will be interesting to see who shoots which matches.

If shooting a Fri-Sunday match, I would drive half a day Thursday and drive home afterwards on Sunday. If flying, I would have to fly Thursday and fly back Sunday. No differences unless the match is far enough away that I couldn't drive home after OR the prize table was so late that I couldn't leave early enough on Sunday.

So lets see your last 5 posts are about driving vs. Flying to matches. Before that it was about rules and then you chide others for thread drift? Now it will have to be Mr. ADDT.

Not to derail you two entertaining us.....but I didn't help that situation much. :blush:

"oooo....shiny object"

It will be interesting to see who shoots which matches.

Agreed...Jesse do you plan to shoot all 4? Do you expect most top 3gn pros to shoot them all?

I can't shoot any matches in February-April so ill miss the first Regional Outlaw match in March. I'll hit the last 3 for sure. I really wanted to shoot the CT night match but we will just have to wait and see if it's possible to shoot with RO's/media early in the week.

So has anyone heard for sure it's just one regional match score to qual for pro series qualifier match and if you shoot more than one just the top score?

I believe that's what Charles confirmed earlier in this messy thread.

I really wanted to shoot the CT night match but we will just have to wait and see if it's possible to shoot with RO's/media early in the week.

It's going to take awhile before I can give you a firm answer on that. First priority is getting the staff and media through during that portion. If there is extra space I might be able to accomodate 5 or so people that have a need to shoot early. I won't be able to give you a better answer till next spring at the earliest.

Somebody mentioned the number of positive reviews matches get on the open forum.

Yeah, the amount of nuthugging for some matches/MD's leaves me absolutely flabbergasted.

That's why I like the PM function here. That and ability to text certain shooters to ask them how the match went.

As far as the other shenanigans in this thread go, I am guessing the use of the popcorn.gif emoticon is still frowned upon???

Somebody mentioned the number of positive reviews matches get on the open forum.

Yeah, the amount of nuthugging for some matches/MD's leaves me absolutely flabbergasted.

That's why I like the PM function here. That and ability to text certain shooters to ask them how the match went.

As far as the other shenanigans in this thread go, I am guessing the use of the popcorn.gif emoticon is still frowned upon???

Part of the issues with the positive reviews come from the forum guidelines. They get squirrelly when you say anything negative about a specific match or person. You end up with only positive happy things said. Gives a bit of a false impression. But it does normally make things more comfortable when you don't have a couple knuckleheads bickering like school girls about some two year old call an RM or MD made at this match or that. You know, hypothetically.

On other forums they ask "What round for grizzly/elephant/sasquatch/man-bear-pig?"

I was going to ask "which bag for purse swinging?"

But I don't think we have seen purse swinging yet.

Since the popcorn smiley is frowned up, I present this:

51987-Are-You-Not-Entertained-1a5I.jpeg

To reiterate I am thrilled they are having more matches each year!

I dont understand what you guys have been talking about since pages 3-6 of this post but I am glad to chime in once in a while to get my post count high enough to be able to list in the classifieds one day... :devil:

Just a little more off topic for this post!

Part of the issues with the positive reviews come from the forum guidelines. They get squirrelly when you say anything negative about a specific match or person. You end up with only positive happy things said. Gives a bit of a false impression. But it does normally make things more comfortable when you don't have a couple knuckleheads bickering like school girls about some two year old call an RM or MD made at this match or that. You know, hypothetically.

That may be one issue....another is that if someone new like me (or maybe not new) says something negative about a match or prize table, we get barked at like crazy. So, we simply stay quiet about the match, or we only interject the details about the things we DID like.

Being a newer shooter, a set perspective about how things "should be" hasn't been established by years of being around a certain core group of shooters that influence each other. Also, being new and not coming from USPSA or any other shooting sport, the idea of shooting ammo that is more suited for a particular match or shooting ammo that WILL work for any match (not SHOULD work) isn't foreign.

Case in point.....I'll give you two examples and lets see if anyone gets butthurt here as a social experiment.

1: Fallen Brethren.... I personally did NOT have a problem shooting the LaRue targets at Fallen Brethren. I knew the match I was going to and shot 69gr SMK projectiles at EVERY target in that match. The LaRue targets fell for me on every shot. Those who were shooting 55gr FMJ bulk ammo at 300 yards, hitting low on the target, were upset about the RO's being able to consistently call hits when the targets weren't falling. I agree that regular steel targets are better suited for 3-gun, but bringing the right ammo for the match would have seemed the smart thing to do.

2: Blue Ridge.... I'd like to know if there would be any actual BIG change in how people placed if that match was scored like all the other matches that use time plus scoring. Is that used as a mental thing to make the match difficult, or Andy Horners way of punishing people who don't shoot USPSA? REAL questions, and here is a little secret....I didn't care if I hit A's and had more fun not worrying about it.

Is Blue Ridge total time scoring? No stage points?

That may be one issue....another is that if someone new like me (or maybe not new) says something negative about a match or prize table, we get barked at like crazy. So, we simply stay quiet about the match, or we only interject the details about the things we DID like.

Being a newer shooter, a set perspective about how things "should be" hasn't been established by years of being around a certain core group of shooters that influence each other. Also, being new and not coming from USPSA or any other shooting sport, the idea of shooting ammo that is more suited for a particular match or shooting ammo that WILL work for any match (not SHOULD work) isn't foreign.

Case in point.....I'll give you two examples and lets see if anyone gets butthurt here as a social experiment.

1: Fallen Brethren.... I personally did NOT have a problem shooting the LaRue targets at Fallen Brethren. I knew the match I was going to and shot 69gr SMK projectiles at EVERY target in that match. The LaRue targets fell for me on every shot. Those who were shooting 55gr FMJ bulk ammo at 300 yards, hitting low on the target, were upset about the RO's being able to consistently call hits when the targets weren't falling. I agree that regular steel targets are better suited for 3-gun, but bringing the right ammo for the match would have seemed the smart thing to do.

2: Blue Ridge.... I'd like to know if there would be any actual BIG change in how people placed if that match was scored like all the other matches that use time plus scoring. Is that used as a mental thing to make the match difficult, or Andy Horners way of punishing people who don't shoot USPSA? REAL questions, and here is a little secret....I didn't care if I hit A's and had more fun not worrying about it.

Does anyone know if they will send out an offiicial invite to the pro series qualifier?

I am new to the sport as well. Bringing 55FMJ's only to a major match is a self correcting mistake and if not the person will inevitably be at a disadvantage. Shooters fault not RO's.

Does anyone know if they will send out an offiicial invite to the pro series qualifier?

I am new to the sport as well. Bringing 55FMJ's only to a major match is a self correcting mistake and if not the person will inevitably be at a disadvantage. Shooters fault not RO's.

Not based on the complaints I heard when there. I kept my yap shut there. I had a lot of one shot one hit with the long range stage and did not shoot a target twice that I thought I had hit the first time.