Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please explain 3gun nation

Could someone please explain to me what "factory configuration" means:

6.1.1 Pistol must be a semi-automatic pistol of a factory configuration.

. . .

6.2.1 Rifles must be of a factory configuration (rules 5.3, 5.4 & 5.5)

. . .

6.3.1 Shotguns must be of a factory configuration (rule 5.3)

I don't see many guns at 3 gun matches that are still in their factory configuration (or in any configuration offered by any factory for that matter).

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone please explain to me what "factory configuration" means:

6.1.1 Pistol must be a semi-automatic pistol of a factory configuration.

. . .

6.2.1 Rifles must be of a factory configuration (rules 5.3, 5.4 & 5.5)

. . .

6.3.1 Shotguns must be of a factory configuration (rule 5.3)

I don't see many guns at 3 gun matches that are still in their factory configuration (or in any configuration offered by any factory for that matter).

That term "factory configuration" is in the IMG rules that most major 3 gun matches use. So whatever it means for every other 3 Gun match also applies to 3 Gun Nation. I haven't ever heard of someone having equipment DQ'd for not being a factory configuration.

Rocky Mountain found it a little unclear as well. We clarified it for our rules as:

Factory configuration is meant to include firearms able to be purchased by the general public and not experimental.

Denise

Does that mean if Robbie Johnson comes he can't use that Remington ACR he shoots?

Rocky Mountain found it a little unclear as well. We clarified it for our rules as:

Factory configuration is meant to include firearms able to be purchased by the general public and not experimental.

Denise

Does that mean if Robbie Johnson comes he can't use that Remington ACR he shoots?

:surprise:

Experimental is not the same as new design. If you can think of an easier way to define "factory configuration" for new shooters who are trying to understand the rules, let me know. The truth is even my guns aren't in "factory configuration" anymore. We all seem to accept what it means, and we at RM3G couldn't think of another phrase to use to mean no phaser guns, or ice bullets or whatever. While the ACR may be brand new and "innovative" it's not truly experimental...And...although Remington is not selling them to the public yet, other people are...so...sure, it fits our definition!

Sorry, just trying to help!

And by the way, before you ask, buying separate parts and building your own gun is also available to the general public, they just may not be capable of doing so. Can you make your own barrel under our rules? Yep! The public can buy the blanks and the lathe... Like I said, we didn't like the phrase "factory configuration" but racked our brains for a better, succinct phrase and failed. We didn't want to spend a paragraph or page or an appendix to make a list of guns and/or parts to more clearly define it, as such a list would be out of date the minute it was written. So, we tried another phrase to do so....

Edited by Benelli Chick

And by the way, before you ask, buying separate parts and building your own gun is also available to the general public, they just may not be capable of doing so. Can you make your own barrel under our rules? Yep! The public can buy the blanks and the lathe... Like I said, we didn't like the phrase "factory configuration" but racked our brains for a better, succinct phrase and failed. We didn't want to spend a paragraph or page or an appendix to make a list of guns and/or parts to more clearly define it, as such a list would be out of date the minute it was written. So, we tried another phrase to do so....

Buying a block of Aluminum and putting it in your CNC to make a receiver and/or gun is also ok then? After all, blocks of Aluminum, just like barrel blanks, are also available to the public. ;)

I'm a big proponent of not having rules that arent, or can't be, enforced and this rule, no matter the ruleset, seems to fit that pretty well. AFAIK, no one has ever been turned away from a match for shooting an experimental or non-factory gun, or even bumped to Open. Does anyone really think that gun smiths or manufacturers are going to churn out experimental custom guns that will rule TO if this "restriction" goes away. And if they do so, not offer them to the general public?

I say remove the wording all together as it only creates confusion. Let the rules about comps, optics, accessories etc decide the division.

Edited by gose

Denise

:surprise:

Experimental is not the same as new design. If you can think of an easier way to define "factory configuration" for new shooters who are trying to understand the rules, let me know. The truth is even my guns aren't in "factory configuration" anymore. We all seem to accept what it means, and we at RM3G couldn't think of another phrase to use to mean no phaser guns, or ice bullets or whatever. While the ACR may be brand new and "innovative" it's not truly experimental...And...although Remington is not selling them to the public yet, other people are...so...sure, it fits our definition!

Sorry, just trying to help!

The Remington version of the ACR is quite a bit different than the Bushmaster version. And completely unavailable to the general public (If it was I'd have one in my safe, cuz Robbie's gun is cool). I don't think there is a way to make that rule make sense. There are just too many variations to existing designs, new designs, oddball one offs, etc. I like your rule better than most. I just still don't like the concept behind it.

As a new follower and really new participant, that "factory configuration" had me spinning too. I just got an SLP MK1 and the factory configuration is set. I could have turned a SLP into a MK1 (in my mind) and been ok by this wording but was wondering about the extended tubes we see everywhere. That is not "factory" as I was reading it.

Since I shoot Club 3Gun at this point this brings up a question. I am shooting Tac Ops. I assume the loading port modification is legal for this even though it is not a "factory configuration" by the comments here. Other disciplines make rule comments like "no external modifications" so I guess even the charging handles and things could be challenged. I am trying to get this straight. As a new player I do not want to do things that will bump me out or force me to buy duplicate gear due to rule snags.