Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lone Wolf

Kraj

I have a lone wolf barrel for my G35 that i bought to shoot lead bullets. Ive had nothing but problems with it. Its advertised as good for lead bullets because it has standard rifling. Has anyone else used them? Did you have problems/what did you do to fix them?

Im going to take it in to a gun store and see what they say but at this point i spent $110 to have it shipped to me, im not going to send it back to lone wolf with more money to make it do what I bought it to do.

None of my Glocks have stock barrels because I shoot lead bullets also. I don't have any Lone Wolf barrels, but I do have 3 KKM's and 1 Storm Lake.

What I've learned so far is that you have to be more careful with your ammo tolerances. You pay for a a better barrel and you will get a tighter chamber. I found that some of my barrels didn't like lead bullets from a Lee mould no matter how short I loaded them. I've had much better luck after switching to a Lyman mould (40 cal).

Like everyone else has said, more info would help.

Good luck

Accuracy wise it is fine. Jacketed reloads feed most of the time, lead reloads start out fine and then get pretty bad after 150 rounds.

Mostly failure to feed issues. I started loading longer (1.150") which helped with the feeding but every once or twice a box it wont let the gun go fully into battery. When the firing pin goes i get a light strike and the gun goes into battery. All the round go off after a second strike.

They polished the feed ramp/chamber and my lead reloads fall into the chamber without any hang ups, ill take it to the range tomorrow and see how it works out.

1.150" ???? Wow my mags won't take anything longer that 1.140 in 40. What weight and profile bullet are you shooting? And you mean you can drop the loaded cartridge in the chamber and it meets flush with the barrel hood and then spin it and it will fall out no issues? What is your crimp measuring? What powder and charge weight.

I have a lone wolf barrel for my G35 that i bought to shoot lead bullets. Ive had nothing but problems with it. Its advertised as good for lead bullets because it has standard rifling. Has anyone else used them? Did you have problems/what did you do to fix them?

Im going to take it in to a gun store and see what they say but at this point i spent $110 to have it shipped to me, im not going to send it back to lone wolf with more money to make it do what I bought it to do.

This is a well known issue with thousands of threads on the subject. Get ahold of Dan at Lone Wolf, the gunsmith. He helped me out. Just be persistant and he will open up the throat of the chamber so that lead will run in the barrel. You will have to send them a couple dummy rounds of your reloads. I will say that I was very firm in the fact that I would not be paying for them to do what should have been done in the first place. Realize, it may take 4-6 weeks for the turnaround.

There are other fixes. Search at glocktalk.com and you will find them.

Wow my mags won't take anything longer that 1.140 in 40. What weight and profile bullet are you shooting?

My mags worked fine with anything under 1.155, longer that than and it sounded like a rattle. 180gn Flat Point Sized to .402

And you mean you can drop the loaded cartridge in the chamber and it meets flush with the barrel hood and then spin it and it will fall out no issues?

Yes, i can now that I took it in, I couldn't get them to go in before, even at 1.135

What is your crimp measuring?

.423-.422

What powder and charge weight.

4.3 gn Red Dot

Take your crimp down to .419-.420 bet you solve the issue :-)

I slugged the barrel when i started using lead and it measured .401, so the bullets I buy are sized to .402 on purpose.

If the walls of the case are on average .010-.011 if I crimp to .419 im cutting into the bullet which isn't meant to happen?

thats my thought on it anways

Update:

100/100 bullets fed and fired without a problem today. There is a match on Sunday that I will try it out at but right now seems to be working fine.