Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Light" strikes and Glockworx Striker?

blopez50

Here's the situation:

I keep screwing up and seating primer a little too deep on my Hornady press. I have made a conscious effort not to do this, but still get about 1 ever 50-100 rounds. They are just a touch too deep... The striker hits them and leaves a small dent but it's noticeably smaller than "normal".

My question is this: Will the Glockworx extended tip make a difference with this? My thought is that even if it was just a little bit extended, even my "deep" primers would go bang.

Like everybody, I'm in search of that 100% reliability and I've proven to myself that I'm pretty sure I'll continue to screw up at the press...

Thanks!

I seat my primers as far as they will go and mine always went off with either striker. I only went to a lightened and lengthened striker when I went to lighter springs. In my mind you should not be able to seat a primer too deep. If anything not deep enough. Only very light primer strikes I have seen were on high primers.

Well I did fail to mention that I have the Glockworx spring kit in this one.

I never thought that they would seat too deep either but I've done a little experimenting and these rounds won't fire out of the girlfriends XD9 either...

You think the extended striker is worth a shot?

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I went ahead and dropped the Glockworx striker in and had 1 more light strike today... That makes 3 out of about my last 300 rounds, about 3 more than I've ever had prior to this!

Any ideas what could be going on here? I measured the rounds and I don't know if it's coincidence but all 3 are about .020" shorter than they should be.

Maybe carbon or debri buildup in the striker channel? Behind the breachface..

I thought that might be it but I cleaned it before the last trip....

MORE DETAILS for those who might be able to help:

- I can load these round back into the mag and they will not fire.

- These are Tula primers so I thought maybe they were just hard. BUT these same 3 rounds will not fire out of a 100% stock glock either.

I just can't seem to get through range session/match without one of these.... Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OAL- ~1.145"

Bullet- Precision Delta 124gr FMJ

Barrel- Have been tried in Glock, LWD, and XD barrels.

The primers are below flush. Originally I was concerned that they may be seated too deep, however the most 2 most recent ones were seated what I would call perfectly. Just below flush.

My guess would be the primers.

I don't know the facts but I've heard that Tula and Wolf comes from the same plant. Dont know if it's true but i haven't researched. Wolf SP primers had work well for me when the caps were gold in color about 4-5 years ago. The newer silver caps are harder and id get misfire 15 out of 100 with light striker springs. Factory striker spring I'd get 2-3 out of 100. Their SR primers are also unreliable , I've experienced delayed ignition and found corrosion on some. The batches that I got may be just bad lots but I just don't trust them anymore. I just use Federal , CCI , Magtech , and Winchesters.

Try a different brand and see what happens.

^ I'm glad to see it's not just me. That makes me feel more comfortable saying that this was a primer issue and not one with my gun or reloading.

Thanks for the advice guys! Looks like I'm on the lookout for some other SPPs!

UPDATE:

I found some CCIs that I had stashed away and loaded up 500 of em for my weekend practice/steel match. So far I'm 300 in with NO failures. I think it was a primer issue after all.

good deal brother.

thanks for update, it may help some one else!!