Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

of big dogs and lesser pups

ErikW

Its not about how fast you can shoot it (at least before you shoot it). It sabout letting your sight slead you through the stage. To get to this point you have to know how to switch gears based on sight picture. Not an easy accomplishment. Learning this took me from M to GM, switching gears that is. The next step was having the experience or maturity to not tell your self I need to shoot this fast or slow but to let that sight picture determine you speed of shooting and lead you through the course of fire instead of you pushing it through. This leads to less mistakes and better points.

Consistency wins matches most the time, speed wins some of the time.

Shoot the sights , do everything else fast!

Matt, I was eavesdropping on a conversation between GMs at the last Nationals, who were not familiar to me. I didn't get names. The gist of the talk was in not shooting insane splits, but ensuring A hits in the fastest, smoothest manner possible. (Perhaps in recalling it, I've altered it. Caffiene can do that.)

As I said, .01 seconds faster on splits means nothing if it costs you .10 seconds elsewhere. For shooters who are working to shave full seconds off of their stage times, fussing over .10 or .01 is another world.

As I said, .01 seconds faster on splits means nothing if it costs you .10 seconds elsewhere. For shooters who are working to shave full seconds off of their stage times, fussing over .10 or .01 is another world.

Vickers Scoring in IDPA is sort of an analog for us mere mortals. It's not worth it to save 0.2 seconds on a splits if you miss the down zero circle.

Yeah, I meant 0.2 ... was referring to people like me. I pulled a number from my nether regions to describe the difference in time between me shooting two sight pictures and getting two down zero shots vs. me doing a hammer and getting maybe one down zero and a down 1 or worse. Not worth the 0.5 second penalty, even if it takes you a full extra 0.49 seconds to aim that second shot.

Yes, or worse, ICORE, with full seconds between scoring rings. I've shot ICORE matches where I've forgotten to shift gears, shot it at IPSC speed, and incurred 17 seconds of extra time in the first stage. My total added time for the rest of the match was less than that stage.

It isn't "How fast can you shoot it" but "How fast can you shoot it clean?" as each "oops" costs you a full second.

It isn't "How fast can you shoot it" but "How fast can you shoot it clean?" as each "oops" costs you a full second.

When I finally realized that reality, my IDPA scores improved substantially. Not as much as when I realized that using cover "the right way" was also killing me, but it certainly helped!

I've never recoreded a split faster than .17! I physically can't move my finger faster :D . Hurt my arm about a year ago and it cramps if I try to be too fast (no shit). It used to bother me much - now I don't care, the answer to winning preisidents medals doesn't lie in splits. B);)

But a funny thing about splits - everybody say they don't matter that much but according to the hit/respons ration in the forum I'm not sure everybody is completely honest... Its fun and cool and a macho topic.. we like those. :D

But a funny thing about splits - everybody say they don't matter that much but according to the hit/respons ration in the forum I'm not sure everybody is completely honest... Its fun and cool and a macho topic.. we like those. :D

MY finger twitches faster than YOURS does...oh yeah, baby! :D

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, I meant 0.2 ... was referring to people like me. I pulled a number from my nether regions to describe the difference in time between me shooting two sight pictures and getting two down zero shots vs. me doing a hammer and getting maybe one down zero and a down 1 or worse. Not worth the 0.5 second penalty, even if it takes you a full extra 0.49 seconds to aim that second shot.

Just an observation but it's seems frequent that people have separated themselves by their percieved skill which I believe the first road block to the thems.