Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 Cylinder Binding?

ihocky2

Recently I've noticed the cylinder on my 625 unscrewing itself while shooting. Thinking I forgot to tighten it properly I never gave it a second thought. I remembered to tighten it down tonight and find that two of the chambers spin freely, two are tight, and two barely move once it is tightened down. I pulled the assembly apart and cleaned everything in detail and put it back together to only find the same problem. It is binding at the same point in the rotation. I am not an expert by any means on revolvers, so I am not sure what is causing this. Even with the cylinder out of the gun and just in the yoke in my hands it is binding. So the problem is somewhere between the yoke and the cylinder when the rod is threaded tight.

Sometimes the rod is bent, but most often the problem lies in the threaded connection where the rod screws into the extractor. There has to be a small amount of clearance between the male and female threads or it will seize up when you try to screw it together. The crookedness of the ejector rod usually comes because of the thread clearance. Anytime you take it apart or it comes loose on it's own and you screw it back together it will be crooked again. You can tell if the rod is bent if you take it off and roll it on a flat surface. If it rolls smoothly it is straight. If it's bent it will be obvious.

The fix is to tighten it up, then use a fixture with a dial indicator to get it running true again. The problem there is the fixture is expensive and not worth buying to use once or a few times. You need to find someone (a gunsmith) with the fixture and have them true it up for you.

Edited by Toolguy

Toolguy has a jig made by Power Custom, you need a dial indicator with it as well. http://powercustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=103

You rotate the cylinder with the rod attached and the dial indicator shows the high and low bend. I bought a dial indicator with a magnetic base from Enco (about $20) and chucked the rod with the cylinder in my drill press. Slowly turn by hand to find the high spot and carefully put pressure on the side of the cylinder to bend the rod straight. Remember the rod is reverse threaded and you can get an extractor rod wrench from Brownells.

Check to be sure the female threaded part of the extractor isn't cracked. That can happen if the rod is over-tightened. I have even seen splits in that spot in brand new guns from the factory. The fact that your rod keeps unscrewing makes me suspicious that this might be happening.