Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New M&P Pro9 5" accuracy woes

fastlane604

I've had an M&P Pro9 5" barrel for a couple weeks. It was factory test fired 9/9/13. I would like to see the target. I imagine it was blank. The sight is badly misaligned to the right. It was not completely pressed to the center. A laserlyte bore sighter verifies misalignment. The trigger is 6 lbs, quite gritty with a lot of creep. Both disappointing, particulary for a premium pistol, but fixable.

My question of this board concerns accuracy. From a sandbag rest at 25 yards my best 5 shot group was 5 3/8 inches. The rest of the groups were 7+ inches. I shot my friends Glock 34. First and only goup was 3 3/4 inches. I am ready to call S&W. However before I do, here's the question. If any of you have had a similar situation and you installed an Apex trigger or sent it to Dan Burwell, did it help group size from a rest? I am doubtful it will change much with mine. If the groups were shot off hand, I'm sure a good trigger would make more of a difference. Had I shot these groups off hand from 25 yards I would not have been on the paper.

My first Pro, which is about 3 years old now, had similar accuracy.

I put in a KKM barrel, after seeing Sevigny shoot one in his Glock one day, and the groups shrank to 2" if I did my job.

I, at the time, was using Rainier 115 gr 9mm.

I also had Apex USB and sear, which smoothed out the pull and brought the weight down to 4.25lbs.

I recently bought another Pro, which by the way, comes with the Core grips, and they have changed the barrel completely.

The lands are much deeper, and the twist is tighter.

With the new Pro, my accuracy is equal to the KKM barrel. i.e. 2" plus or minus, with Zero 115gr bullets.

The trigger itself should not effect your groups.

Have another shooter that you trust, shoot a couple of groups before you change anything.

I have a KKM barrel in mine, it has also been Maga Ported, and has a Salient Arms custom trigger. I do my own loading and this gun drools over Montana GOLD 124 JHP AND WINCHESTER SMP.

Yes you have a premium pistol, but it is mass produced and S&W sometimes screws the pooch. Mine did very well out of the box, but now its Royls Royce.

Here is a photo

Both of my pro's prefer 124 grain loads. They both shoot well with 115 also. My newest; new barrel with faster twist, does not like 147 grain at all. The old barrel shots 147s fine.

Same here...both of my 5" Pros MUCH prefer 125gr bullets.

Unlike the above, My pro 5" likes 147 gr bullets. :)

On mine the sights were low no matter what ammo I shot in it from 115 to 147's. I called S&W and told them what factory ammo I had used to test and how low it was with each and they had me send it in. They fixed the issue with a new sight and sent it back to me with a mag for my trouble inside of two weeks.

My suggestion is to try different ammo and then call S&W with that information, include a copy of what the issues are with the gun, and then ship it to them to fix it.

Also, Like MarkCO said, there are several discussions on this issue on the board that echo what has been said above. Good luck and give S&W a call and see what they will do for you. :)

Thank you all for the replys. Rather than list quotes, I will just try to answer.

There are numerous threads on this forum, the S&W forum and the MP forum about M&P 9mm accuracy or lack thereof. I read most of them before I bought this gun. However, they primarily deal with poor accuracy in guns built in 2012 and earlier (with slower twist rate barrels than those built in 2013). The faster twist rate barrels were supposed to cure this problem. Also, the early lock up (as I recall) issue was supposed to be cured, as well. As I posted, this gun was factory test fired 9/9/13.

I shot 115 grain Hornady Action Pistol (HAP) bullets, 124 grain Hornady FMJ and 147 grain Berry's. The 115 grain HAP shot the 5 3/8 inch group.

I had a friend of mine, the owner of the Glock 34, shoot the M&P and he fared no better than I. He also shot his Dan Wesson 9mm 1911 and shot a 1 1/2 inch group. I say that not to argue that the M&P should shoot as tight as the 1911, but to show that we have some experience at this.

It would seem that on this gun at least, as Ken says, "S&W screwed the pooch."

Both of my pro's prefer 124 grain loads. They both shoot well with 115 also. My newest; new barrel with faster twist, does not like 147 grain at all. The old barrel shots 147s fine.

Same here...both of my 5" Pros MUCH prefer 125gr bullets.

The only thing I found odd was that my new pro really dislikes 147 grain and it has the faster twist rate. My older gun shoots them pretty well, if I didn't like the 124 better I'd have no problem going back to 147 in that gun. S&W says the faster twist should help the heavier bullets, but that is the opposite of what mine show.