Versa Max - Feed Latch Modification

Tcon260

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How exactly do you remove the shell latch? Where is the pin and which way do you drive it out?

Any close-up pics of the shell latch and the area to polish?

There is s roll pin about 1" from the front of the loading port drive it out with a punch and small hammer towatds the top of the reciever and drive it in in the same direction. Prior to removing the latch note where the springs are located for when you reassemble. This is a picture of where I filed down and polished. I started with a half round needle file and finished with progressive grit wet dry sandpaper taped to a shotgun shell to match the contour. And finished with a dremel with a felt wheel and some flitz metal polish.

017fed940cba128f4acbfe5e5b5cd66a.jpg

How exactly do you remove the shell latch? Where is the pin and which way do you drive it out?

There is s roll pin about 1" from the front of the loading port drive it out with a punch and small hammer towatds the top of the reciever and drive it in in the same direction. Prior to removing the latch note where the springs are located for when you reassemble. This is a picture of where I filed down and polished. I started with a half round needle file and finished with progressive grit wet dry sandpaper taped to a shotgun shell to match the contour. And finished with a dremel with a felt wheel and some flitz metal polish.

Some considerations with this

Its been mentioned here and i also talked to a few smiths

-drive the rollpin out from top to bottom

if you go bottom to top and use the wrong punch or make a mistake you risk enlarging the hole and them the pin can come loose, move past the receiver bottom.

At best you coud chew up you hand/fingers on the reload. at worse the pin might work itself out during a stage

-Be careful with polishing the shell latch. If you go to far or do not keep the angle on the backside you could get doublefeeds and then the shotgun is pretty much locked up.

I would buy some extra rollpins and a latch or two before doing this.

you can actually get both on amazon.

I learned the hard way about both of the above.

Some considerations with this

Its been mentioned here and i also talked to a few smiths

-drive the rollpin out from top to bottom

if you go bottom to top and use the wrong punch or make a mistake you risk enlarging the hole and them the pin can come loose, move past the receiver bottom.

At best you coud chew up you hand/fingers on the reload. at worse the pin might work itself out during a stage

-Be careful with polishing the shell latch. If you go to far or do not keep the angle on the backside you could get doublefeeds and then the shotgun is pretty much locked up.

I would buy some extra rollpins and a latch or two before doing this.

you can actually get both on amazon.

I learned the hard way about both of the above.

I guess I have always driven the oppisite as my puch isnt long enough to drive from top to bottom but I always make sure to use the proper size punch.

First off I am not trying to get anyone mad. There are many ways to skin the hard to load cat. The way pictured isn't an optimal way. As the tab bends over time, there isn't enough contact with the shell rim to keep the shells in the gun. after a while the shells will start spitting out at random times. It is far better to bend the tab a bit instead of grinding either the way shown, or enlarging the little U cut outs on either side. Both those ways will give a nice feel for loading but WILL over time allow shells to come right back out of the gun when loaded or fall out while shooting. I've seen the enlarged U cuts flex enough over time to crack right through and then the whole end comes off.....it's great for a while but careful!! With either method be sure to have a spare with you or a shotgun you can borrow.

• 4 months later...

Well I did mod b and I'm afraid I might have taken to much off it didn't seem like I did. But every so often when I press the shell releases lever or shoot I will get a double feed because two shells get released out of the tube. Did I take to much off or is there another problem? I have another feed latch on order should be here end of the week

Thanks for the help

EDIT

nvm looked above I must have went to far will probably replace and just polish no material removed and just load her until it's smooth

Edited by Jstafng