Versa Max - Feed Latch Modification

Tcon260

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man. That is really opened up. I was under the impression that the lip on the front bottom side of the loading port helped hold the shells in the tube. In this picture almost all the shell rim is exposed.

I took a look at mine with shells loaded and it's pretty much the same, maybe even less contact with the shell rim.

Way I look at it, there doesn't need to be a lot of contact with the shell rim, just enough! Now I may regret taking off as much as I have someday so maybe I'll go ahead and get that replacement shell latch and modify it now, just in case :)

The latch mod is pretty easy on the Versamax. The u grooves are already there and really don't need to be any deeper. Just use a rat tail file to remove the lip in fluting at the end of the stop (right where it contacts the shell rim), then polish it up real nice. I cut my stop back to reduce contact and went a little too far (pretty easy to do), some times releasing two shells instead of one. I figured I'd try bending the shell catch back before buying a new one. I gave it just the tiniest tweek and now it's perfect. Easy to load and both stops and releases shells properly. Everything looks good after a couple thousand shells. After modding mine, I did the port and shell stop work on a couple of buddies guns. All I did on theirs was remove the lip as described and polish up the stop and they were very pleased with the the improvement.

• 5 weeks later...

I worked on mine today. Loads much easier! I'm just afraid I may have taken off a little too much. It looks about like the picture in post 28, so maybe it will work just fine.

Test report to follow.

I may have taken a little too much off mine as well. When I tested it with 3 different brands of ammo, I found that Rem shells wouldn't always 'catch' after the tube had 6 or 7 shells in it. It seemed like I had to push the Remington shells into the tube further. Once they were loaded, they ran fine.

Pretty sure I screwed mine up.

But this is one thing you can order from Remington via their online parts store.

Are shells slipping past the latch? You may be able to slight bend it (toward the center of the mag tube) at the point just in front of the pivot pin to allow a bit more surface engagement.

Pretty sure I screwed mine up.

But this is one thing you can order from Remington via their online parts store.

You an give it a little bend. That's what I had to do and mine has worked perfectly for 2000 shells now.

You never got the double ejecting shell tube thing to work for you. :)

I already ordered a spare, but I may try giving it a little bend too. I haven't shot it yet and I've smacked the butt into the floor quite a few times and shells haven't slipped by the latch, but I can't imagine there enough holding the rim to keep them from coming out when they aren't suppose to.

• 2 months later...

Anybody have any more pics ? From three pics I've seen it looks like you grind both sides of the shell catch that touches three back of the shell

The bottom of the shell latch is the only part that really catches on mine, and that's the part that was interfering with loading. So the only grinding I did was on the bottom lip of the latch to make it concentric with the follower.

Anybody have any more pics ? From three pics I've seen it looks like you grind both sides of the shell catch that touches three back of the shell

The bottom of the shell latch is the only part that really catches on mine, and that's the part that was interfering with loading. So the only grinding I did was on the bottom lip of the latch to make it concentric with the follower.

When you say bottom lip of the latch , are you referring to the side closer to the loading port ? Gonna have to south mine out just a tad more

When you say bottom lip of the latch , are you referring to the side closer to the loading port ? Gonna have to south mine out just a tad more

Yes, bottom of the latch when the gun is held in the upright position.

• 1 month later...

Thank you to everyone on this post and a few others, I pulled the trigger yesterday and dove in head first on my Versa Max mods.

I welded the lifter ( I give myself a 95%, wasn't prepared with the right materials and wasn't going to stop to finish later, ended up using 316 SS filler wire). Had a slight catch when cycling manually, thinking it's more of an inertia, manual cycling thing though. Filed the feed latch and formed it to the follower , has intermittent double feed when loading doubles, so...... I am going to give it a lil bend if

It happens again today while in actual use. I went off of Pat Kelly's recommendation on opening the loading port and I'm very happy with how it turned out. I also feathered down the forward grip on the entire perimeter and coped it to match the opening of the loading port job.

It turned into a pretty long day and I'm excited to get it into action today to see how I did.

Thanks Again to everyone' for their sharing of experience and knowledge.

I will post some pics also, they were a big help in helping me do mine, trying to figure that out now.

OK,

Lets see if this works.

Had to do this through the wifes yahoo account.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122150429@N03/13588584924/in/photostream/

This is pics of the mods to the versamax I performed last saturday.

From field testing, the longer lifter causes the round to want to jam a the top ridge of the barrel

Going to send it to C-Rums to have it throated

I have a few other pics of the back side of the lifter I want to up load as well since I ground a little out of the center to help keep the round centered.

Also, performed both mods to the feed latch and had to give it a little tweek, but after that, no problems.

Ready for the POLO 3 gun on Sunday!!

Lets have some fun!

OK,

Lets see if this works.

Had to do this through the wifes yahoo account.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122150429@N03/13588584924/in/photostream/

This is pics of the mods to the versamax I performed last saturday.

From field testing, the longer lifter causes the round to want to jam a the top ridge of the barrel

Going to send it to C-Rums to have it throated

I have a few other pics of the back side of the lifter I want to up load as well since I ground a little out of the center to help keep the round centered.

Also, performed both mods to the feed latch and had to give it a little tweek, but after that, no problems.

Ready for the POLO 3 gun on Sunday!!

Lets have some fun!

Put the extended part of the lifter in a vice and give it a little bend. This way you get the extra length but it doesnt protrude into the loading area.