Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rudy Project Glasses

v1911

Brief Update:

So after spending some time debating on what style of Rudy's to get I finally settled on a pair.

I opted not to get an Rx style as I didn't want to worry about the cost of replacing lenses as my Rx changed. I did take a risk on ordering a pair I didn't get to try on. After receiving my pair via Overnight delivery I can say... DAAAAMN these are comfortable!!

Arguably the most comfortable pair of anything I've placed on my face. These KarbonEye are very lightweight and provide a superb field of unobstructed vision. They are Impactx photochromatic lenses. They seem to hug my head/face incredibly well during high impact activity and impart zero discomfort on any point of contact (something that could not be said of my current daily wear glasses). I'm sure that each and every line of their glasses is just as impressive. While not the cheapest option for protective eyewear, they definitely get the thumbs up as far as value for what you're getting. I'll be talking these up to my fellow shooters!

971645ef-9ba2-4baf-874c-f61bdb8b631a.jpg

5f615c23-b70e-4fa9-a2ca-ac96833014b2.jpg

Edit: Thanks Jaxshooter for the most up to date discount code!

Edited by v1911

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only issue to be aware of with photochromatic lenses is that they will darken up on an overcast day. They darken in response to UV and that can make them darker than optimal on a cloudy day.

I like the lightest lenses I can get by with while shooting. I shoot outdoors using the racing red lenses and indoors or cloudy conditions with clear. I am very light sensitive so wear sunglasses pretty much all the time. I like Rudy project for shooting, but still wear Oakley glasses for casual wear. Oakley has slightly better optical quality, but Rudy Project are much tougher.

I don't foresee it being an issue. I mainly shoot indoors and even when transitioned they aren't that dark.

Agreed. I wear photochromics from rudy as well. I wear red indoors and out and have no problems with them ever being too dark.

The only issue to be aware of with photochromatic lenses is that they will darken up on an overcast day. They darken in response to UV and that can make them darker than optimal on a cloudy day.

I like the lightest lenses I can get by with while shooting. I shoot outdoors using the racing red lenses and indoors or cloudy conditions with clear. I am very light sensitive so wear sunglasses pretty much all the time. I like Rudy project for shooting, but still wear Oakley glasses for casual wear. Oakley has slightly better optical quality, but Rudy Project are much tougher.

I never thought of that. I prefer lighter too and Im waiting on my eye appointment to order racing red photo chomes. But I did notice that the darkest tint level for the photo chrome reds are still lighter than the standard racing reds. I was also thinking that if I added the blue mirror coating than they would stay towards the lighter side more oftenbbecause the mirror would block uv rays. Does the mirror add any actual tint or is it only visible on the exterior?

• 2 weeks later...

So I shot my 1st outdoor match today with these lenses.

It started overcast but became sunny several hours later. The lenses darkening with overcast wasn't an issue. There was an issue of darkening when the sun came out though.

It seems that the brim of my hat was enough to prevent a solid transition. If I left the glasses out on a table in direct sunlight, they would darken. They would lighten again soon after placing back on my head.

Can't complain though, I never felt the sun was too much. Maybe without a hat there may have been a difference under cloud cover.

I ordered a pair after my yearly eye exam. Got the ANSI spec with RX clip. My Dr wrote a prescrition to helpwith sighting. Suppose to be in this week. Rudy has a special going on now, a free extra replacement lens.

• 10 months later...

I live in Michigan and one thing you want to be aware of if you live in a colder climate and shoot outdoors is that photochromic lenses turn very dark in the cold. darker than sunglasses even if there is not any sun out.

As an after thought, my Eye Doc was at my gun club and I told him I thought the snow was freaking out my Photochromic lenses while Shotgun Shooting, He told me it was the cold and that the way you rejuvenate photochromic lenses if they start not working as well is to put them in the fridge.

I am ordering Rudy Projects next week once I shoot with my new correction in contacts. The red sounds interesting, can anyone post a picture looking through the red to a white piece of paper?