Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rudy Project Glasses

v1911

I love my Rudy Glasses but there is no way in hell I would ever pay $650 for a pair of glasses! :surprise: I would maybe do inserts for shooting but would find something cheaper for everyday use.

I can just see them getting left sitting on a counter, or dropped repeatedly like my everyday glasses are. Gives me cold chills to think about it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I only use glasses to shoot with and watch movies because leaving my glasses on makes me feel sick. The lense cost isn't that much more expensive than my regular glasses and those have a habit of being crushed and scratched. Plus I keep getting in trouble for walking around the range with them off. I'm hoping these will basically be the last pair of glasses I buy ever and with the full size prescription I should be able to leave them on throughout the match without getting sick. I considered a set of clip on inserts but I had some of those in the Army and they had issues with fogging and dirt getting between the 2 sets and having a small sweet spot like regular glasses. Plus USAA is allowing me to attach them to my firearms/valuable possessions insurance which covers them full cost without a deductible. I do agree a bit though it's a little hard to drop the hammer on this, but believe it or not, my wife is telling me to do it. Turns out she's had enough of me complaining about my glasses and ruining them.

In addition to my question about the coating, is the photochromic red light enough indoors?

Edited by DDustin

Well I only use glasses to shoot with and watch movies because leaving my glasses on makes me feel sick. The lense cost isn't that much more expensive than my regular glasses and those have a habit of being crushed and scratched. Plus I keep getting in trouble for walking around the range with them off. I'm hoping these will basically be the last pair of glasses I buy ever and with the full size prescription I should be able to leave them on throughout the match without getting sick. I considered a set of clip on inserts but I had some of those in the Army and they had issues with fogging and dirt getting between the 2 sets and having a small sweet spot like regular glasses. Plus USAA is allowing me to attach them to my firearms/valuable possessions insurance which covers them full cost without a deductible. I do agree a bit though it's a little hard to drop the hammer on this, but believe it or not, my wife is telling me to do it. Turns out she's had enough of me complaining about my glasses and ruining them.

In addition to my question about the coating, is the photochromic red light enough indoors?

I wear photo reads indoors and they are fine once they adjust. They are a little dark for a few minutes after you first step indoors but after that they are just great.

Sarge, I appreciate your advice so I was wondering if you could advise me on the safety ratings that your lenses carry. (hope I used those words correctly. Those two are too easy to mess up......) ;)Are the adaptive lenses rated highly for impact or do I need to go with other options?

Some ranges I go to require specific ratings for glasses and I have to be able to prove it. I quick tour of the web store did not show easy answers to that question.

There web site seems kind of hard to navigate but if you browse their you tube channel they have a lot of good info. Also just Googleing your specific question seems to be the best way to find specific info on their site. One of their videos the rep said the Impactx were balistic rated and made from the same base material as Apache windshields. He even bent it completely in half and it went back to normal.

Also you got advise right. Think about it only s can make the z sound, c cant.

Edited by DDustin

Sarge, I appreciate your advice so I was wondering if you could advise me on the safety ratings that your lenses carry. (hope I used those words correctly. Those two are too easy to mess up......) ;)Are the adaptive lenses rated highly for impact or do I need to go with other options?

Some ranges I go to require specific ratings for glasses and I have to be able to prove it. I quick tour of the web store did not show easy answers to that question.

The photo chromes are their impactX lenses which as far as I know meet all standards for protection. I think there is a thread on here with a lens that stopped a fragment or lead shot, something like that.

They are worn by a lot of shooters and are good to go.

I did just find the stealth frames which look awesome. Just in case you missed those too.

For the people with the photchromic red lenses, what does the fiber optic green sight look like with them? I know people say the reds pop with those lenses but I use all green because they're usually brighter outside.

I called Rudy Project and the rep, who said he was a runner, turned into a dick once I mentioned it was for shooting. He basically blew off all of my questions about ballistic rating and safety and wouldn't even specifically admit they had shooting glasses. His exact words were "I guess anyone could use our glasses for whatever you want" and when I asked after that about fog proof he said he doesn't know with a bit of an attitude and when I asked about using any anti fog products he just said no. He was nice and helpful before I mentioned shooting but after it's like he flipped a switch. I know they support shooting because I've read posts by their reps and they have a specific shooting section on their site. But that guy shouldn't deal with customers if he can't accept shooters using their products.

What I did get before he shut down is that the mirror coating would prevent the photo chromic lenses from working properly because they would block the UV rays. I think that might actually be a good thing though because I prefer lighter tints. Has anyone ever put the coating on photo chromic lenses? Also they ship prescriptions in 5-7 days which is way better than I expected.

Hey all,

Full disclosure here, I work for a company called Tactical Rx. We're located in Denver. One of our customers said I should check out this forum, and I wouldn't speak up if I didn't think some folks could benefit from knowing who we are. Basically, we make custom, Rx shooting glasses, and we should be considered a resource, and experts, if shooting and tactical prescription eyewear. This is precisely what we do. We make inverted-bifocals for iron-sight pistol shooters. We tint lenses any tone you'd like. We don't upsell you on coatings that you don't need. We're a small shop and veteran-owned. Some of us shoot, the rest of us treat shooters kindly. We're pretty good people. We give discounts to active military, as well as all return customers, and their immediate families, forever.

Again, I hope I don't offend anyone by posting on here, but clearly people are trying to find options for Rx shooting glasses and I feel like it'd be helpful to know who we are. My name is Kyle. I might answer the phone if you call. Thanks.

Hey DDustin sorry you had to put up with that person for Customer service. KGentry <username> is the one you want to get ahold of in the forums. Sorry I haven't visited the forums since I started my new job. I'll try to answer your question to the best of my knowledge

-In addition to my question about the coating, is the photochromic red light enough indoors?

This depends on the lighting in the range, If the range is completely lit then you'll find no issues. I find for myself however that if the range is only partially lit, I tend to change out my lens to clear variants. This is all shooter dependent of course.

-For the people with the photchromic red lenses, what does the fiber optic green sight look like with them? I know people say the reds pop with those lenses but I use all green because they're usually brighter outside.

Maybe its just me ( Red/Green color blind) but it tones down the brightness? of fiber green allowing me to see the edges of the "dot" without obstructing my vision of the edges of the front sight.

As for safety test standards this is where it gets a bit tricky, Rudy Projects don't make "safety glasses" per say and are not a US company. so that being said they haven't send in their glasses to get tested for US safety certification. This is kinda of a funny subject I had a pair of Gentyks stolen from me but I still have all my extra lenses for it, seeing I'll be using a new different set of glasses for the season I might do a impact test on one of the extra lenses, (that's if I know for sure I can still send them in to get replaced afterwards :roflol: )

I hope that answer some of your question, luckily there are already very smart people replying in this post. Again sorry you had to deal with piss pour customer service, but again each their own.

Hey DDustin sorry you had to put up with that person for Customer service. KGentry <username> is the one you want to get ahold of in the forums. Sorry I haven't visited the forums since I started my new job. I'll try to answer your question to the best of my knowledge

-In addition to my question about the coating, is the photochromic red light enough indoors?

This depends on the lighting in the range, If the range is completely lit then you'll find no issues. I find for myself however that if the range is only partially lit, I tend to change out my lens to clear variants. This is all shooter dependent of course.

-For the people with the photchromic red lenses, what does the fiber optic green sight look like with them? I know people say the reds pop with those lenses but I use all green because they're usually brighter outside.

Maybe its just me ( Red/Green color blind) but it tones down the brightness? of fiber green allowing me to see the edges of the "dot" without obstructing my vision of the edges of the front sight.

As for safety test standards this is where it gets a bit tricky, Rudy Projects don't make "safety glasses" per say and are not a US company. so that being said they haven't send in their glasses to get tested for US safety certification. This is kinda of a funny subject I had a pair of Gentyks stolen from me but I still have all my extra lenses for it, seeing I'll be using a new different set of glasses for the season I might do a impact test on one of the extra lenses, (that's if I know for sure I can still send them in to get replaced afterwards :roflol: )

I hope that answer some of your question, luckily there are already very smart people replying in this post. Again sorry you had to deal with piss pour customer service, but again each their own.

Thanks for the response. I sent Kgentry an overly long PM but still haven't heard back. I'm only really worried about safety certs so that when people ask me I can answer. I'm personally only concerned with the ability to take some shot or ricochets off of steel and keep my eyes intact.

He was just at Shot Show so it may take some time for him to answer back, if you need a timely response you can send the same PM to me and I'll get in contact with him ASAP. As long as the lenses are properly locked into place on the frame you have nothing to worry. There is a reason why a lot of shooters wear rudy's :)

Edited by DocMedic

For Christmas I gave my father a Gift Certificate to his Eye DR who is a Rudy Dealer. He got the Shooters Set and his prescription in the hanger. After his insurance paid and he used his Gift Certificate, he now has a $7 credit with the DR Office!

Nothing against any of the other manufacturers since I have never used their products, but I have always been very pleased with my Rudys!

For Christmas I gave my father a Gift Certificate to his Eye DR who is a Rudy Dealer. He got the Shooters Set and his prescription in the hanger. After his insurance paid and he used his Gift Certificate, he now has a $7 credit with the DR Office!

Nothing against any of the other manufacturers since I have never used their products, but I have always been very pleased with my Rudys!

That's awesome.

Are the Rydon and Rydon II frames the same? Is the only difference between these two in the size of the lens? Are the lenses interchangeable between the Rydon and Rydon II's?

Steve, they are the same. Mine are Rydon frames w/Rydon II lenses. I don't think the Rydon I lenses offer enough side protection - I almost always have them with, if you'd like to see for yourself next match.