Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Time and Standing Time

Paul B

Econ 101 says that all of economics is based on what the rational person would do.

I used to carpool 3 hours one way to a match where I might have done one minute to two minutes of shooting. I am guessing the match lasted at least 3 hours, probably longer.

Looking back on it now, that's not rational.

I've never seen open squadding used at a local match, but none of the local matches have dedicated RO's. I'm not sure how it would work around here.

One of our local clubs uses open squadding. For the most part, it works well. The only problem I see, are the selfish shooters. Those are the ones that drop off their squadding sheets at multiple stages at the same time. That way, they don't have to wait around to shoot, but again, they are not available to help reset/paste targets.

Do you have RO's willing to work all day without shooting?

If you're asking me, yes there are dedicated RO's. They shoot after most of the non-RO shooters finish. There are usually a few of us that aren't in a real hurry that RO the RO's.

Two of the "local" clubs I used to shoot at allowed open squadding and there weren't any dedicated RO's stuck manning the stage the whole day (I am referring to Lefthander's near Springfield, IL and PASA Park near Quincy, IL).

Lefthander's as a range is a pretty neat set up with their bays. Let's say there is a driveway that runs north-south. There are bays off to both sides of the driveway, oriented east-west. So when you get done with a stage and deciding on where to go next, you can just look across the driveway and see that a bay/ stage isn't being used at the time. As you leave your first bay, you can see if the next door bay or stage is empty. If it is all booked up, then you skadaddle across the driveway to that empty stage.

When I was MD'ing, I didn't want dedicated RO's stuck at the stage all day. Mainly because of the heat and the humidity. But also, because we did have one dedicated RO who refused to pull out his overlay. The shooter ended up with two charlie's instead. Then later that RO bragged to the then MD about how he dicked over Shooter X.

But also, because we did have one dedicated RO who refused to pull out his overlay. The shooter ended up with two charlie's instead. Then later that RO bragged to the then MD about how he dicked over Shooter X.

...which, I hope, you reported to NROI because we certainly don't need anyone like that runnning shooters. Ever.

It happened before I was MD. Then when I became MD I got rid of dedicated RO's entirely, and over the course of a year tried different ways of squadding people with the limitation or stipulation that everyone had to be there at say 9AM so I could give a safety briefing/meeting, which was required of me by the "host". If it had been up to me, I would have just said "sign up between 8 and 10. Squad with whomever you want and gaggle from empty stage to empty stage. Be safe!"

I also had to go through NRA RSO training (rolls eyes).