Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading technique for small hands

GregKulosa

Background: I own a Glock 17, and I wear medium size gloves. I'm also right-handed.

With my normal grip with my right hand, I can barely rub the edge of the magazine release, but I cannot push it with enough force to eject the mag. I have to shift my grip in order to reach the button.

In a recent orientation/safety class they pointed out that while I was doing this, my trigger finger came off of the slide, and was flexing as my thumb tried to push. They pointed out that it could look to a safety officer as if my trigger finger was going to pull the trigger.

So - what are my best options? I don't want to practice a bad technique, and have to re-train later.

- Shift my hand so that all 4 fingers (including trigger finger) are on the right side of the grip, and push the release with my thumb?

- Push the Mag release with my off hand before reaching for a new mag?

- Buy one of the after-market mag releases that has a bigger button face? But then my understanding is that I an no longer legal for production/SSP.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Try a little grip tape on your mag release to make it slightly more positive. Not sure if it is class legal or not. I would also consider ditching the gloves at least until you have everything dialed in. It is hard to sense subtlety with gloves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Unfortunately messing with your mag release bumps you from Production. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having to shift your grip to hit the mag release with your strong hand thumb. This is the preferred method. but before you do anything I would take some close up video of your technique to see what you are actually doing, not what others perceive you are doing. If in fact your trigger finger is coming off the slide and anywhere near the trigger you can spend some quality dry fire time adjusting your technique to fix this. Unless you have someone you train with regularly the video camera is your best training friend ...

An OEM extended mag release is allowed and you will still be in Production.

Appendix D4, 21.6.

• A factory/OEM magazine release which extends
only the length of the magazine release may be used.
A magazine release which provides larger surface
area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an
OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

Try a little grip tape on your mag release to make it slightly more positive. Not sure if it is class legal or not. I would also consider ditching the gloves at least until you have everything dialed in. It is hard to sense subtlety with gloves. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can see how what I said was confusing. I don't wear gloves when I shoot. I was mentioning gloves to give an idea of the size of my hands. A size medium latex glove fits me perfectly, for example.

And to everyone else that replied, thanks for the ideas. I have a Glock extended Mag Release from a Glock 34. I will give it a try. Unfortunately it is just extended in length. It's too bad that it doesn't extend towards the rear so my thumb can reach better.

I'll try video taping and working on my technique.

Thanks again.

Choose a gun that actually fits your grip? Yeah, hind sight.

I don't know squat about Glocks . . . don't know if they have an ambidextrous magazine release. But, the reason I mention this is because I shoot with a guy that has your same problem. He shoots an XDm and uses his trigger finger to press the magazine release from the strong side. It works fine for him.

My wife has the same issues, as does another gentleman I shoot with, who is THE top A class shooter in the country. However, they are both left handed. What they do is, use their index finger to release the magazine, not their thumb. Works very well. For you, since you are right handed, if you have a Gen 4, reverse the mag release for a left handed shooter, then use your index finger on your right hand to release the mag. It will take some practice, but it DOES work and works well. Then you don't have to worry about your finger ever being on the trigger either.

I saw a video of a lady shooter for Armscor(?), demonstrating a weak hand mag release technique. It worked for her. As for me, I installed extended mag release, and just practiced. Still have a little flip, but the release is much more positive.

I too struggled a bit with this. Installed a stock extended release (to stay production legal) and no more problems. I shift the gun a bit to get the mag released, but it isn't something I think about or that causes any issues. This is an inexpensive and easy to install part. Will likely cost as much for shipping as the part.

I have small hands also. In useing the Glock, I use a weak hand release and reload. I have done this for years. It works and do not even think about what I am doing. Trigger finger I put on the side of the slide so a S/O R/O can see finger outside trigger graud.

I even use the same thing when shooting a 1911. Give it a try and practice it. It may work for you.

Mike

• 1 month later...

My Glock reload involves my middle finger. The firing thumb doesn't QUITE reach the magazine release; instead I hold it extended (in natural right-hand only grip). My trigger finger stays extended and on the frame. My right middle finger comes off the grip and presses on the right side of the trigger guard, pushing the magazine release to the left and against my thumb.

I saw a video of a lady shooter for Armscor(?), demonstrating a weak hand mag release technique. It worked for her. As for me, I installed extended mag release, and just practiced. Still have a little flip, but the release is much more positive.

+1 Just use your weak hand thumb.