Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats the deal with all the 9mm 1911's?

Xhris

• 4 weeks later...

I recently bought a 9mm 1911Dan Wesson for two reasons. The first is it is a great gun for shooting in steel matches. The second is to use in USPSA SS. I know I will suffer if I don't hit "A's" but the best advice I received was if the match has a lot of steel the extra capacity of the 9mm will more than offset the scoring penalties. If the COF for the match shows mainly paper I will shoot major.

I'm already a SS shooter that gets a kick out of announcing, "230 grains!" when I step up to the chrono. But I have to admit to an interest in trying 9mm SS.

I did some figuring once and decided the difference in scoring factor would probably be a wash. At least on paper. Shooting all alphas is one answer, of course. But 8 round mags live to hand out standing reloads and the occasional slide lock. So I think 10 round mags might be a wash to the less accomplished shooters as well.

Although thinking about it now, the 10 round magazine advantage pretty much goes away on classifiers that tend to be 6 rounds at a time.

• 1 month later...

I have decided to go 9mmP/Minor at the IPSC World Shoot in Florida later this year.

My reasons are as follows:

In IPSC 9 rounds may be shot from a position. That effectively leaves the major gun at slidelock and with no extra shots or fill in shots. If the next positions also requires 9 rounds, it means 2 mag changes.

With IPSC rules requiring a ratio of 3 short, 2 medium and 1 long course for matches, there will be many more short courses that require between 9 and 12 rounds. Those extra cartridges could be very valuable to avoid standing reloads.

Although I take a hit in scoring, I am much better at calling shots with the minor gun than the major gun and can place my shots much more accurately at speed with the softer recoiling gun. I will aim to shoot 90%+ of the available score on each stage. That should still keep me competitive accuracy wise.

The last factor is shooter fatigue. After 2 days of shooting the major gun, I start to suffer from tendonitis and my scores and shooting is affected. I dont have the same problem when shooting the 9mmP. The WS will be 4 days of shooting and in my mind 4 days of consistent shooting will easily beat 3 days of substandard shooting.

I might be completely wrong...

I have decided to go 9mmP/Minor at the IPSC World Shoot in Florida later this year.

I might be completely wrong...

Sounds like a good idea. I shoot my 9mm SS gun pretty well. I would have to get a different mag well for mine but other than that it would be a lot of fun. Now I just have to wait to see if I get to work/shoot it.