Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would be a good time for this shotgun drill?

Correia

I'm curious as to what would be considered a fast time on the following basic shotgun drill.  

5 steel targets at 15 yards.  Start from the low ready.  At the buzzer shoot each target once.  I've heard this called the "hammer drill".  But I'm not sure that is the right name.

Someone was telling me about seeing some professional shooters doing this drill on American Shooter and having some really amazing times.  This is one that I practice and I feel I've gotten pretty good at it for a pumpgunner.  I'm just curious if I am doing it as fast as I think I am.

2.11 with birdshot.

2.50 with buckshot.

This is with an 18 inch 870.

Thanks.

Well, if the steel targets are Pepper Poppers close together I could do .15-.25 splits for two seconds or better. If they are farther apart, .25 on up, depending. If they are one behind the other, .5 on up, depending on how slow the steel falls. That's with an 1100 auto.

I'd say two seconds with a pump is pretty freaking fast.

Corriea,

what size plates are you using, or are they poppers.

I would imagine if they are heavy poppers you have to assume the hit on the run through or you lose the plot.

Kellyn, that is motoring it! on average most shooters I now shoulder the gun from a hip start and fire the first round on average of about .8 - 1.1 seconds, and taking down 5 in under 2 is very impressive by any standards. With a pump? wow, only one guy in the whole of the UK could come close to that and he is one of the top boys here.  

WOW:

I must just load fast, as I couldn't even keep up with Correia's times with a pump with my auto! Todd Salmon and I got into the racing mode a while back and the best we could do was about a high 1.9 something on poppers at 15 yds spaced 1 yard apart!! I hope Kelly and I can do battle some time so I can learn too! Hey Pat how far were the targets on the Dozier drill or does it really matter with the old scatter gun. I know when I talked to Len Gouldman he said range doesn't matter that much as long as the spacing is about the same. Bill Vance also said the same thing. Jerry, on the other hand, said range does come into play. Anyway my hat is off to all of you, as any one that can shoot that fast is leaps and bounds more skilled than I.                 KURT

That match that I came up with my best time we were using 8 and 10 inch static plates.  (I can't recall if that stage was the 8 or 10 though).  They were spaced about 3 to 4 feet apart.

I can shoot the shotgun fast, but I have been shooting the same shotgun my whole life.  I started competing in 3 gun a little over a year ago.  I've discovered that shooting is only half the battle, I have got to learn to reload faster.  But you guys already know that.  :)

I've only shot in one national level 3 gun match, and I got my butt kicked. (educational butt kicking though)  I got to watch Taryn Butler shoot a stage, and he could reload 4 shells at one time in about a second.  Simply amazing stuff.

Hey guys this is my first posting ever but it looks like this is the place to be.

If you want a standard for this drill I saw Jeff Cramblit and Todd Salmon both shoot 5 full size poppers at 10yds approximately two feet apart  in 1.3 seconds from a high ready position. This was at the Southeastern tactical shotgun championships two months ago. When we reviewed the timer their first shot was in the .47-.50 range and their splits ran around .2.

I was shooting a side match with Terry and Alice O'hara about 3 yrs ago. It was 5 US poppers at 10 yds roughly 1m apart. Oh did I mention it was with a supplied Bennelli auto? Alice ran in the 1.9's I ran 1.8s and Terry did it in 1.55, then he picked up the Benelli pump and pulled a 1.8 that was just a bit faster than my time with an auto. I'll never forget that day, boy can that  guy smoke with a SG.

OG, welcome to the ROCK.  Those are some impressive times Boys.  We did one this weekend with 7 and were running about 2.2 to 2.5.  Jeff and Todd are fast, but OG is da Man with a pump.  And Kyle, I've seen him shoot 3 in the air, from the hip, and the 11-87 was upside down!

• 5 weeks later...

I think the time has come for us to get together and try out that new Remington, and see if its fast enough to keep up with Todd, he sets the pace so there is no holding back, WFO or bust! OG? I for one have never shot a .15 or even a .18 on targets with a shotgun, guess I'm ready for the senior catagory.