Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PO 1 Conversion

Smitty79

My son is currently shooting a 75B and wants to get an SP01 Shadow Target. Availability is holding him back. The LGS has a PO1 in stock. It my last a few more minutes.

As I understand it, if you buy an SP01 Shadow Target from CZC, it is SSP and Production legal. If he got the PO1 converted, would it still be SSP and Production legal?

This conversion would involve disabling the firing-pin block. Appendix D4, #22 in the USPSA rulebook states:

Removing or disabling firing-pin blocks or any other factory safety mechanism in Production division is specifically prohibited.

IDPA has a similar rule.

But as was already mentioned, the P01 is a very different animal than the SP01.

An SP01 will make a great Production gun. With springs and polishing, it can easily surpass the performance of a stock Shadow.

Yes the absence of the FPB gives the Shadow a slightly better potential, but if polished and paired with the reduced power spring from CGW it's hardly noticeable.

• 2 months later...

An SP01 will make a great Production gun. With springs and polishing, it can easily surpass the performance of a stock Shadow.

Yes the absence of the FPB gives the Shadow a slightly better potential, but if polished and paired with the reduced power spring from CGW it's hardly noticeable.

Agreed,

I have a P01 that I spruced up with CGW's kit. I CC it everyday and have shot a few practice matches with it. I wouldnt think twice about running it at a match.

But the Shadow is a beast! It is probably my favorite gun in the safe even over my TS and 2 STIs etc...