Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Hammer Spring min Weight for factory ammo?

Brassaholic13

Reading the Brownells 2.5 lb trigger job guide, I notice they are using the 18 Lb Wolff spring.

With very little stoning (factory machining marks still apparent) followed by some polishing on the sear/hammer, I've got the trigger pull down to a consistent 4.25 Lb pull as measured on my Lyman gauge. I'd like to lighten up the hammer spring to further reduce some trigger pull pressure, but I don't want to reduce reliability in fire.

What's the opinion on what pound hammer spring to run to reliably fire factory made ammo? Not that it should matter, but this is in a 70 series 5" govt model.

Thanks.

Interesting... Wonder why the hell they put such a heavy damn spring in it from Colt then.

Can I go lighter with the slide spring as well, or should I leave it factory? I don't want the recoil action to beat up the frame with full power loads.

This may surprise you, but absorbing recoil is mostly the job of the main spring, not the recoil spring ;)

Call Wilson Combat and tell them, I'd like to hear their response.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-guide-rods/1911-flat-wire-recoil-spring-kits-prod55272.aspx

Did you have anything to add to the discussion, or just come in to argue semantics?

Xray makes a valid point. And it's not just semantics. A light ms is not the way to get a good, light trigger. This comes up repeatedly and I can provide a great example. I have an SV with 23# ms and the trigger pull is 1.5# (tested with real NRA weights, not a spring scale). It is crisp, 100% reliable, and has held up for many thousands of rounds. 17# and lighter ms usually equals mushy trigger and poor feel as far as reset. I know lots of people do this, and some think they have a great trigger as a result. That opinion usually changes when they try one that's done correctly.

Hello: It comes down to testing the mainspring weight. Some say 18lbs but are actually 20 or 16. Some also use heavy mainsprings and cut them back to give less preload. The poundage stays the same but the preload is less. I like a 17lb ISMI and a firing pin stop that has a taper. Thanks, Eric