Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 low left issue

johnhhuber

I have been shooting low and left consistently with my 1911 and cannot for the life of me figure out the issue. I have tried slow fire, fast fire and anything in between. I know the gun is sighted properly because I had someone else shoot it. I do not have this issue at all with my m&p I normally shoot. Any thoughts on why switching platforms is causing me such big issues? Please note that I have done a lot of dry firing with the 1911 and my sights do not move when I dry fire so I believe my trigger pull is good. Thoughts? I am willing to try anything. Thanks!

post-30111-0-80393500-1381099866_thumb.j

Low left is typically jerking the trigger. Another thing to think about is trigger position on the face of the trigger. Make sure you are coming straight back and your finger is flat on the face of the trigger. When I bought my first polymer pistol back in 06, I had to adjust my finger position on the trigger to keep from pushing the gun left.

Thanks! The more I think about it, the more I am realizing it is more than likely the fact I am jerking the trigger. Since I have not shot this platform much in the last year or so and since it is a .45 instead of a 9mm, I think I am just anticipating recoil like everyone else shooting low and left. I will dry fire twice a day with this pistol for a few days before I head back to the range and see if I can work this out.

Thanks! The more I think about it, the more I am realizing it is more than likely the fact I am jerking the trigger. Since I have not shot this platform much in the last year or so and since it is a .45 instead of a 9mm, I think I am just anticipating recoil like everyone else shooting low and left. I will dry fire twice a day with this pistol for a few days before I head back to the range and see if I can work this out.

Try shooting off sandbags next range trip. That should help you out understanding your grip and trigger press. Go slow and think about each shot. I think you will learn a lot.

Later,

Chuck

I do the same thing when I go between platforms like that. For some reason it shows up more on the 1911 style trigger for me. Unfortunately it usually takes me live fire to fix it. Good luck. And shooting off a rest definitely helps identify what is going on.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yep, I'm with the other guys. since you've done the smart thing and had someone else confirm it's not the gun that only leave the operator. :)

My suggestions are:

trigger pull/trigger jerk pulling the shots low left.

finger placement on the trigger (too much finger in there)

anticipating recoil a little and pushing the nose down.

it happens to us all. and it could just be switching platforms has brought it back a bit.

It is a Jank. Jerking and Yanking. Try this, Shoot the gun freestyle but with your stronghold pinky off the grip. Just point it straight as to take no action upon the grip with the pinky. See if the pattern starts moving up and right. If so, many of the advice above applies. More than likely you are applying tension and trigger pull together.

I have to reaffirm this myself every now and then.

Edited by rhett45acp