Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I think you just won the prize for most vague question ever. :)

What are you loading? What Press? What are you loading for? (plinking, hunting, precision, uspsa)

Myself I use a combination of dies for loading my 9mm match ammo on a 650.

EGW Udie, Redding Seater, and a Dillon Crimp die.

I think you just won the prize for most vague question ever. :)

What are you loading? What Press? What are you loading for? (plinking, hunting, precision, uspsa)

Myself I use a combination of dies for loading my 9mm match ammo on a 650.

EGW Udie, Redding Seater, and a Dillon Crimp die.

+1 for Sarge!

I use the exact same combination of dies in my 650 for 38SC, 40 & 45.

Pat

This: 90253.JPG Of course,I don't have the kind of money Sarge or Pat have!!!!

My dies were bought over the last 10 years. I decided I would wait and buy what I considered the best combination of dies rather than buying others that I didn't want and buying what I wanted later. The Redding seating die was the most expensive but rather than put up with the frustration of bullets seated eccentrically (far enough to be seen easily by my eye) I opted for the best. Yes a somewhat pricey setup but not as pricey as eventually spending the $$$ on two sets of dies one of which ends up in a junk box.

Pat

It is not about the seating die, it is about the seating stamp (right term?).

If the stamp doesn´t fit the bullet properly, your bullets are seated not aligned.

Use a stamp of any brand, put an aluminium foil over your chosen bullet and put PATTEX REPAIR express power putty (or another brand) into the stamp.

Press the bullet in the stamp and wait till the putty is hardened.

Take the bullet and the foil out, remove the overlaying fringe.

Now you have the perfect stamp for your bullet.

If the stamp doesn´t fit the bullet properly, your bullets are seated not aligned.

Use a stamp of any brand, put an aluminium foil over your chosen bullet and put PATTEX REPAIR express power putty (or another brand) into the stamp.

If that is the case why did my use of a "generic" Redding seating die with the same bullet cure the eccentricity problem.

Pat

If that is the case why did my use of a "generic" Redding seating die with the same bullet cure the eccentricity problem.

Pat

The seatin stem probably matched you bullets better than the others. Just guessing. Is yours just the regular off the shelf redding die set?

Pat

The seatin stem probably matched you bullets better than the others. Just guessing. Is yours just the regular off the shelf redding die set?

Both dies have the identical bullet profile in them.

Pat

I never loaded with redding dies.

What do they better than others, inspite of microfixing and maxiprizing?

Some people tend to recommend just what they have.

Must be the best, nothing else possible, so.

Edited by jayjay1

What is the other dies that you were using that weren't seating straight?

The only other die I was using was a Dillon which came on the 650 I started with for 45ACP many years ago. I started having "fat butt" problems and went with a U-die. Noticed the off center bullet seating and bought a Redding seater. With the results I saw from those two replacement dies I used the same dies for 38SC and 40. Hard to argue with success.

Pat

Pat

I never loaded with redding dies.

What do they better than others, inspite of microfixing and maxiprizing?

Yeah, and some people have actually experienced the difference after using both. Have you?

Pat

Like you could have read in my post, quoted from you, nope.

As I read, you have only tried Dillon and Redding, so what do you know about the difference to other dies?

So I ask you again: What makes Redding better than other dies, especially the Hornady New Dimension seating dies?

Edited by jayjay1

Like you could have read in my post, quoted from you, nope.

As I read, you have only tried Dillon and Redding, so what do you know about the difference to other dies?

So I ask you again: What makes Redding better than other dies, especially the Hornady New Dimension seating dies?

They work for me and that's all that counts. Obviously you are welcome to use what you want. I'm not here to argue with you.

Pat

Must be the best? For me yes.

I have used Dillon and LEE dies in my 650. The Dillon size die would not size down certain brass enough to maintain good case neck tension so I went with an EGW Udie. About $30. Problem solved.

The Dillon seating die was and is a pain in the ass to adjust so I went with a Redding Pro seater die since it adjusts with a stem. It cost $29 from Midway. Problem solved.

I tried a competition seating die but actually found it to not be all that consistent or better than any other seating die for what I use it for.

While I am pretty new to this reload game and just load range rounds, the Dillon dies work extremely well and are very easy to set or adjust. Not as easy as the die Sarge uses but it is not hard to do...

The other thing not mentioned is how easy it is to remove the working part of Dillon dies (seating and crimp) for cleaning or to flip the seat tip to change bullet shapes. And removing the parts for cleaning does not change your settings.... Might be quite the time saver if you plan to load a lot and want to save time...

I have also had good luck loading RN's with an RCBS combination taper crimp seat die which is not easy or convenient to set but is necessary when I use my bullet feeder (a manual set up not a fancy electric one) since the bullet feed die takes up the space normally used by the seat die.

But like Sarge mentioned in that first response, many of the choices depend on what and how you intend to use your press.... "Best" is subjective and will change depending on your needs...

@Pat:

I really don´t want to argue with you too, sorry for getting sounding a bit agressive so.

But if you ask shooters "which pistol is best", most of them recommend their own, and not "the best" for this guy and the use he plans with (just an example).

So therefore I´m always scrutinizing why, and if the answer is "because I know better than you" I maybe ask a second time.

So I´m really still interested about an advantage between Hornady and Redding in this point.

Both lead the bullet to the stem, what is it, that Redding does it better, more accuracy?

The Dillon size die would not size down certain brass enough to maintain good case neck tension so I went with an EGW Udie. About $30. Problem solved.

The Dillon seating die was and is a pain in the ass to adjust so I went with a Redding Pro seater die since it adjusts with a stem. It cost $29 from Midway. Problem solved.

Hum, that´s hard stuff for me, who has turned to Dillon die sets two years ag,o when I bought the Dillon press.

I use them in 9mm Luger, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, and belonging to your saying, this could explain some trouble I had the last time with my ammo.

:surprise:

I think I have to check this out.

:huh: