Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Crimson Trace Midnight 3 Gun

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stage 1 is optional. You can shoot your own rifle, or we will have a Colt CRP-18 with Leupold Mark 6 1-6 available if you prefer to shoot that. It will be sighted in at 200 yards.

Stage 4, 6 and 10 are all stage guns. None of your own.

Tell me more about this optional gun. Is a light provided on it, or at least a rail to mount one? Is ammo provided? Your 4 rounds might be a bit different than my 4 rounds ;)

Last year every stage gun I shot was completely dialed in. Every miss I saw was usually due to rushing or poor shooting. I watched a guy zero a stage gun before our first stage last year. The guy was meticulous. Max distance is 250 right? I wouldn't stress about it. If you don't feel good about it, use your rifle.

Gonna be a blast! Stages look quick and fun! Nice work Chuck!

Is this event open to spectators? And if so, is there anywhere I can park my 30' 5th wheel? I looked at all the links on the CT website, but don't see any info on spectators other than required safety glasses and hearing protection. Feel free to PM me or post here in case some others are wondering the same thing...

Thanks!

-Mike

Last year every stage gun I shot was completely dialed in. Every miss I saw was usually due to rushing or poor shooting. I watched a guy zero a stage gun before our first stage last year. The guy was meticulous. Max distance is 250 right? I wouldn't stress about it. If you don't feel good about it, use your rifle.

Gonna be a blast! Stages look quick and fun! Nice work Chuck!

But your zero may not match my zero.....

The long range guns will be verified by a couple ROs to ensure they will be on. The targets on the long range will be illuminated. You can use a flashlight of you want but it's not needed. The flying clays. They are easier to see, more consistent and easier to call hits on than any I've seen in a day match. Trust me. No worries. I tried them out last night with my Benelli. No light on the gun and didn't have any trouble dusting them.

There is room to park. And spectators are allowed. We ask that spectators arrive after 7 PM. We have dinner at 6 and not enough food to feed everyone who comes to watch spectators will need to be checked in at the west gate and will need to wear a wrist band. As far as the fifth wheel. There is a tight turn with a cattle guard to get in thorough the west gate. Ken Nelson made it with a f350 hauking a 30 foot trailer but he's awesome. You can also come in through the east gate which is easier for big rigs. But you'll still have to check in with staff at the west gate.

The long range guns will be verified by a couple ROs to ensure they will be on. The targets on the long range will be illuminated. You can use a flashlight of you want but it's not needed. The flying clays. They are easier to see, more consistent and easier to call hits on than any I've seen in a day match. Trust me. No worries. I tried them out last night with my Benelli. No light on the gun and didn't have any trouble dusting them.

There is room to park. And spectators are allowed. We ask that spectators arrive after 7 PM. We have dinner at 6 and not enough food to feed everyone who comes to watch spectators will need to be checked in at the west gate and will need to wear a wrist band. As far as the fifth wheel. There is a tight turn with a cattle guard to get in thorough the west gate. Ken Nelson made it with a f350 hauking a 30 foot trailer but he's awesome. You can also come in through the east gate which is easier for big rigs. But you'll still have to check in with staff at the west gate.

Perfect, one less thing to worry about. Thanks Chuck!

Verified the two long range rifles. Three shooters and all were within an inch at 200. The plates are, well, big.

Not only are those long range flash targets huge but they very easy to see without a weapon light.

The colored lighting on the stages is incredible too see, and the stages are fast and really fun!

Can't wait to get back out there tonight .

What an awesome match! Thanks a ton for putting it on.

Biggest takeaway: Too much light is worse than too little light, especially once the dirt/dust starts flying.

Definitely! After 4am all the dust/smoke etc seemed to get that much denser! It could be a real obscurant for the targets, but a real highlighter for everyone's lasers

I have a call into Blade Tech now. They are checking to see if they can/will be able to produce a holster for the RailMaster Pro / G34/35 combo in the near future. I’m expecting a call back on Monday. I’ll update when i can.

Official word from Blade Tech is that while they are working on the tooling for Rail Master Pro compatible holsters, they will not be ready before the match.

Talk about under promising and over delivering :) I stopped by the Blade Tech table at the match and spoke to Kyle. I told him my story and he hands me a holster for my G35/RailMaster Pro combo, complete with tek-lok. Thanks to Blade-Tek, and Kyle for supporting me, the match and the sport!

Edited by TallGuy

Back from the Crimson Trace #M3GI. Again, the best match of the year! Thanks so much to Crimson Trace for taking such good care of the staff and all the sponsors for the support of this match. There is no other match that offers such a high level of support across the board from media, taking care of staff, shooter support and a prize table that was truly remarkable. Every year, it just gets better and better!

Stage 10 was a "fun" stage, and boy was it fun. Thanks to Caleb for being our Chauffeur while we dumped Freedom Ammo through the FNH SAW with only a Green laser at distant steel. Awesome.

Thanks to Dave and Annie for working stage one with me. Huge props to CCR (CRP18), Leupold (Mk6), Warne (mount) and Nosler (ammo) for the excellent stage rifle. I will absolutely guarantee that more people went 4 for 4 on bonus targets with the stage gun than those who elected to use their own rifle. It was excellent and ran 100%.

Nosler bullets are my rifle bullet of choice, so when there was still a huge box of them left when I entered the prize room, I made like a CTC laser and went straight for them. Thanks Nosler!

This is the third year I have shot, and worked this match and working for Chuck and Travis is such a pleasure. My first year, I used a laser on my match rifle and a white light on my pistol and shotgun. I tweaked a few things in 2013. This year, I shot my actual "defensive" pistol and rifle. The opportunity to shoot my actual "must work" firearms under stressed conditions, in the middle of the night is invaluable, not to mention fun.

Mark, question for you. I dropped the ball on the addtional Pinwheel shotgun loaders you donated to the RO's. You know the ones that were in addition to the first sponsor contribution you made, and in addition to the second one you made to support the media class and then put them on the prize table. So yeah, the third sponsor contribution you made. I found them in my box after I finished with all the FFL stuff. Would it be OK if I passed them along to a local three gun match in about two weeks? We have a match to benefit the family of a local reserve officer who was shot and killed last year.

Biggest takeaway: Too much light is worse than too little light, especially once the dirt/dust starts flying.

Anyone have suggestions for gear that worked on the rifle portion of Stage 8?

I thought I didn't have enough light (100 lumens), so mine could not punch through the muzzle blast then dust? I ended up using just the laser, but that was something I should have practiced ahead of time

Also - great ROs all around.. you made the match.

Did you shoot it later in the night? I think what was happening was temperature dropped enough and there was enough humidity in the air from the thunderstorms that it was the water vapor in the air blocking most of the light. Like using fog lights instead of high beams. Looking back I think dropping a light on the spool and using that to illuminate might have been the best fix. But of course I didn't think of that till now. I used a 1000 lumen light and didn't punch through. It's definitely not a lack of light.