Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Crimson Trace Midnight 3 Gun

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do some people shoot this match with PVS-14s and IR lasers? Do they do any better or worse than the guys shooting it with lights?

A couple of people have gone all the way with NV but you will not be competitive due to FOV and lack of practice time (unless your Tier 1 in real life with a few hundred hours on the range).

A couple of people have gone all the way with NV but you will not be competitive due to FOV and lack of practice time (unless your Tier 1 in real life with a few hundred hours on the range).

Canadian Tier One: so I've successfully bumbled from bathroom to gunsafe while only tripping twice. :ph34r:

If there was some other incentive beyond "because you can" I could see wanting to try full NV.

Edited by TVpresspass

It didn't look like Kerry's gear slowed him down much at all. Stage 1 put him at a disadvantage because he had to look west and the sun had only recently set. He had trouble seeing a shotgun steel target if I recall correctly due to the bloom.

He shot well and it was remarkable to watch (me not being a Tier 1 guy).

And Kerry looked cool doing it too! Invisible is cool.

I agree completely with Doug. Where else will you get those conditions to use your gear?

Sendit

Edited by sendit223

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of questions from a newbie who just came off the wait list

-- What distances should I plan for with rifle? 0-200? 400? +++?

-- is having light+laser on each gun an advantage or disadvantage (I'm thinking utility vs. weight)?

-- will I need slugs? slings? any other tidbits?

-- and, any other tips you might care to share....

Thanks!

0-50 with your rifle for sure. There's a stage with shots out between 100-250. There will be a stage rifle available of you choose, or you can shoot yours.

No slugs

Light laser on pistol and rifle definitely. Shotgun, I prefer just a light. Others like the laser. I think it slows you down too much trying to get the laser on the small plates. It's a shotgun. Just needs to be close.

I have used both and I felt the green was more visible through the dust and smoke. Higher pressure loads tend to produce less smoke which is helpful as well.

Light laser on pistol and rifle definitely. Shotgun, I prefer just a light. Others like the laser. I think it slows you down too much trying to get the laser on the small plates. It's a shotgun. Just needs to be close.

Agree.

A low level red light for your personal use is good...don't be the guy who blinds your squadmates with white light from your headlamp.

I did some practice sessions with IR lasers vs. red vs. green...green was the fastest and easiest for me.

Keep it simple and durable would be my advice.

Couple of questions from a newbie who just came off the wait list

-- What distances should I plan for with rifle? 0-200? 400? +++?

-- is having light+laser on each gun an advantage or disadvantage (I'm thinking utility vs. weight)?

-- will I need slugs? slings? any other tidbits?

-- and, any other tips you might care to share....

Thanks!

I'm gonna do a short video on how/why to run what lights/lasers for a night match this month hopefully. Shooting a match at night is an eye opening experience as to what gear works. Edited by Jesse Tischauser

One weapon of each type per stage. For example you can't stage a half dozen shotguns around the stage. But I don't care if you switch to a different rifle/shotgun/pistol on each stage. Heck it's dark, who's gonna know? The main reason we allow it is if a light/laser/red dot or whatever quits working, or you decide you want to try something different go for it. This match is as much about learning as it is about competing. At least for me.

One weapon of each type per stage. For example you can't stage a half dozen shotguns around the stage. But I don't care if you switch to a different rifle/shotgun/pistol on each stage. Heck it's dark, who's gonna know? The main reason we allow it is if a light/laser/red dot or whatever quits working, or you decide you want to try something different go for it. This match is as much about learning as it is about competing. At least for me.

Every year I have finished with at least one different gun. Apparently shooting in the dark is very hazardous to firearms.