Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W signs of brass wear

quicky06

I'm relatively new to the world of 40. I have been getting into uspsa limited and have a batch o about 900 pieces off brass with 5-6 firings about half a witch are major loads using 180 gn lead and powerpistol. The other half with bullseye and the same bullets. I've recently come across some tight group which I hope will work better (less smoke, cleaner gun).

Anyway the majority of the brass I have came from a lucky day at a range when a PD was there heading towards the trash with it.. so i assume that was its first firing. Well after I've reloaded it 5 or so time (I have yet to find a reliable way to track firings when im constantly scrounging at the range) the majority of the brass has loose primer pockets, not loose to the point where they are falling out but loose to the point that I can seat them 90% with fingers.

This is shot out of 2 M&P pistols 1 4.25 and 1 5", ran through dillon dies and loaded on a 550B with just enough bell to not shave the lead. i have had no cracked necks or loss of neck tension.

So my question after all the crap i just typed for an unknown reason.

What should i expect out of 40 Brass?

What are the first signs of the brass nearing it's end?

Ive just never had pistol brass have loose primers.

With the high pressure cartridges such as 9mm and 40S&W I discard brass after 4 reloads. With the low pressure cartridges such as 38 Special and 45 ACP I tend to use the brass until it starts to fray at the case mouth.

In my humble opinion if you are starting to see the primer pockets loosen it won't be long before you start to experience other nasty issues with that brass such as case head failures. 5 major loadings is enough with a high pressure round like .40.

Also I don't think you are going to see less smoke or a cleaner gun with Titegroup, most likely the opposite of clean and less smokey would be my guess. The last time I loaded lead with it I created a fog bank like a Civil War cannon.

Well thanks for the info guys. After I shoot these I'm going to order some more.

As far as powder. I wanted to try titegroup but couldn't find any so I used up the last of my bullseye from 45acp (gun was stolen). Now I can't get bullseye but I found 2 lbs of titegroup. I've also got a 4 lb of power pistol but it kicks like a mule.

I think I'm going to load a ladder of titegroup bullseye and power pistol and see which one i like best for major and minor with the appropriate springs.

• 4 weeks later...

I use an undersize die to resize my brass. Seems like the U-die shortens the life of the brass. I'll get an occasional case split on the first loading of 1x fired brass. After about 5 loadings a little more case splits. I chuck my brass after the 3rd or 4th loading. My brass supply is 1x fired brass from Glocks so I need the Udie.

I load my 40 brass until it fails, mostly I lose it at matches before then. It gets old, work-hardened and will crack when it is time to retire. I do know I can get as many as 20 loadings on brass. Some of my nickel brass has lost it's plating and looks like brass. All my loads are major with e 3 powder and 180 gr bullets. I've never checked primer pocket tightness, I load on a 1050 and it is hard to feel the primer seating. I suspect my oldest brass may have loose pockets, I have never had primers fall out though.

EG