Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

springs with full power loads?

mas

I'm running a #14 with buff in my .45 government model. Given that I will be using standard factory loads for a little while longer, is #14 too light? I'd go even lighter if I knew that the frame wouldn't get pulverized. :D

I had 2 Para's. I ran about 15k through a .45 and 15k through a .40. Both were setup with a 14# recoil spring and a cominolli tungsten guide rod. No problems in either with the light spring. I used nothing but factory loads in the .45.

I use an 18.5# recoil spring in my guns, but all I shoot is full power and +P factory loads.

How low you can go depends on how heavy your mainspring is too, as it helps slow the slide during the cycle along with the recoil spring.

Bob: I was just about to order a new mainspring....hahah....good timing.

Guys, I asked the wrong question....I am *ok* with a 14 lb. spring, but curious about going even lighter using full house loads. Has anybody tried this?

Duane, with the 14 pounder for your carry ammo, do you use a buff?

Steve: changing your mainspring to a ligher poundage can have some beneficial effects....if you compare a 22 lb. to an 18 lb. you'd see and feel the difference.

• 4 months later...

When people say the fell less recoil without the buff, they are probably having spring bind with the buff installed. Check this out. Loat of variance in the length of spring tunnel. Especially with replacement plugs. Upto 5/16 differenc.