Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this holster production legal?

TimAustinTX

•May not be manufactured or cut lower than,
and must cover the slide up to, ½” below the
ejection port (belt slide “Yaqui” type holster
exempt).

your second picture shows the slide exposed more that 1/2" below the ejection port. Welcome to open...

the rules don't specify how that is to be measured, unlike the mag measurement diagram. if they do i missed it and need to be educated. i don't see how that holster isn't production legal.

even with a sight notch that measures .7 the gun can't clear because of the .4 measurement. what am i missing?

the rules don't specify how that is to be measured, unlike the mag measurement diagram. if they do i missed it and need to be educated. i don't see how that holster isn't production legal.

even with a sight notch that measures .7 the gun can't clear because of the .4 measurement. what am i missing?

I see it this way too. The angled cut does not allow the shooter to draw any faster because the gun still has to clear the the .4 portion.

So it's still no bueno?

The rule chuck quoted is pretty clear. How can you argue that cut isn't lower than 1/2"? The rule doesn't make any mention of the gun clearing the holster on the draw. It only talks of a measurement while the gun is fully seated in the holster. Do you really need a diagram to show you how to make this measurement? If so, it will look like the 2nd photo above.

If you want to run that holster, go ahead. But that's not gaming, that's not freestyle, that's cheating. The rule is very clear, and that holster is in violation of the rule.

The way D4.20 is written, the holster does not pass. But I'd guess that they most likely considered straight across cuts when they wrote the rule. The purpose of the 1/2" measurement seems to be to ensure you're not getting into open-front race holster territory. The slide cover measurement along with the backstrap height requirement make it somewhat standardized (barrel length not withstanding) how high you have to lift the gun to clear the holster. A shallow V cut instead of a straight one really doesn't gain any advantage if the gun still clears within 1/2" of the ejection port. If the cut was so deep that the holster could flex open and allow the gun to clear sooner, that would be different.

While I wouldn't use it until you hear back, I'd still send your pics to NROI and see what they say.

That is how my Black Ice holster first came from Blade Tech and they remade it for me with a straight cut instead of the angle cut like yours. (but I did specify that it was for USPSA production division). Might be worth a call to the company who made it for you.