Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BBI STI edge issues

not4you2know

I recently decided to switch to BBIs from MGs for the obvious $ reasons, but I have a strange issue. I thought I'd see if anyone here could help.

I've done all the load testing. This last Saturday I loaded 200 rounds for practice and during practice I had 7 failures to feed. The rounds wouldn't chamber all the way. I either had to hit the back of the gun to get them to chamber or pull the round via grabbing the slid and hitting the grip. The pulled rounds were looked like the coating was stripped off on one side. I don't know whether the stripping happened from cambering or if it was from me pulling it. My initial though was a crimp issue, but would that strip the bullet on the way back out? Any help with this would be awesome and my gun and load data follows. I can't run a gun that is not 100% and my gun is 100% with MGs. I'd really like to make the switch to Molys.

Brazos HP Edge 5"

180gr BBI

1.80 OAL

.418 Crimp

4.7gr WST

169PF

Give me a call and send me some pictures and I am certain we can figure it out. With a crimp at 0.418 on a moly bullet you are likely causing the concern. A crimp that tight will actually swell the lead oversize right above it and cause the issue. With a moly bullet your crimp should be about 0.001 under standard case size(0.422) which would make the crimp 0.421. We have also seen where factory barrels have a very sharp edge and the use of a Manson Throating reamer greatly assisted the feeding process. I run both the 180 and 200gr (BBI ovbiously as it would be silly for me not too) in my limited gun and it runs flawlessly. You can get my direct line information from: https://www.blackbulletsinternational.com/Contact_Information.html

I'm sure Chandler will get you straightened out. When I was having a weird issue with my gun while using his bullets he was a wealth of information, even though his bullets were NOT causing the issue. Since then I have put over 3,000 rounds through my limited gun and not had one single problem. (knock on wood)

Please update this thread when you have the solution.

If you want to send me the barrel and several of your loaded rounds I can throat it for you so they will work. When I tune the HP Edges I throat them so they should work with most moly bullets but your particular load may take a little more throat than normal.

Before you do this make sure you have cleaned the chamber well, especially around the edge of the chamber just before the rifleing.

Edited by Brazos Custom

Chandler,

Will do when I can get some pictures, but your reasoning sounds logical. I'm not sure I'd feel to comfortable with the reamer option. I didn't realize that it was too tight. I only adjusted the crimp until they would pass a barrel check. I pulled a few to ensure the crimp was not digging into the coating.

The ogive is wider for its length on a jacketed bullet. The bullets are getting stuck on the moly ring left from the molly bullets.Are you by any chance using a lee undersize crimp die? These dies make the problem worse.The fix is to take a wire chamber brush for a Ar 15, put it in a drill, and use it aggesively to clean the chamber portion of your barrel, works best to take the barrel out of the gun.I swore my sv was a pos, since it would always jam on jacketed bullets at major matches.

I re-set the crimp the same way as before and remeasured. It is now .421 on the dot. The only difference is I did not give it the recommended 1/8 turn after. All rounds gauged and barrel checked, I checked the crimp measurement on every 1 in 10. I loaded 200 more and I'll be headed to the range this weekend to run them. I'll post results.

Take 10 boolets and measure the OD to make sure they're not slightly oversize side, I have a sti picky if they're not exactly. 401. Opening the throat fixes that though

Also is the flair correct on the press, too much or too little could cause seating to go cockeyed.

Is the seating die appropriate too?

Edited by Forgetful

Update:

The brass I used to make the first 200 rounds for this weekend was all the same brass (Fed NT). The crimp was .421. These rounds functioned 100%. I made another 200 with mixed brass and about 40% of them would not barrel check. I adjusted the crimp until all brass would barrel check, which turn out to be around .420. I pulled 5-6 to check for "ring around the collar" and one had a slight impression, but no sign of digging into the coating. I almost wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't looking closely. All mixed brass rounds fired 100%.

things to note:

I saw a velocity increase to about 171PF, but this was probably due to a 10 degree difference in temp. out of 20 rounds through the crono there was only a 22 fps velocity variance.

Some of the mixed bass rounds did need a second go through the crimp die which may indicate another crimp adjustment is needed.

• 3 weeks later...

I ran many thousands of BBI 180s loaded in mixed brass through two Brazos Limited guns at 1.180. All my brass is 1x fired Glock brass from my PD range. Station 1 in my 550 had an EGW U-die. Then I belled the cases as little as possible, and same thing with the crimp, in the area of .420. Hardly ever an issue. If there are issues with chambering try reducing the OAL to 1.170 or 1.175, that may do the trick. every gun is different.