Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aha! Case shuttle issue fixed for 9mm and .40 S&W!

So, I've had an issue from day one (which was only about 6-8 weeks ago) with my Dillon press. It wouldn't reliably feed 9mm and .40 S&W cases. Sometimes they would fall over on their side, or tilt/jam, or stick and slingshot across the room when being shuttled from the drop to the shell plate.

Since I'm part collecting to create my own version of an auto-drive (with the help of JMORRIS here on BE), I thought I had better get this issue resolved before I get the auto-drive built.

Viewing the shuttle casting as a feed ramp I got extremely lucky. I took the 9mm shuttle casting and got out the Dremel and some Simichrome. Before you know it, I had that casting looking like a fine piece of polished jewelry. I then pulled out the .40 shuttle casting, and low and behold, there's a big ding in the feed ramp. I polished it as well.

Now, the 9mm had ZERO issues in failure to feed, but because of the ding in the .40, I'm still getting maybe 1% that fail to feed. Guess I'll call Dillon Monday and see if they will fix me up with a new feed ramp or tell me to pack sand.

Sounds like he's talking about a 650... the 1050 doesn't have those kind of issues.

I've found that mounting a small piece of steel bar stock hanging on the back of the polymer cam ramp to give it a little weight in the back helps keep it from bouncing around so much.

He's probably referring to the station one locator. Be careful polishing that, the rails erode easily. I eventually had to make a station one locator out of steel because mine kept wearing/peening and causing the above mentioned issues (falling brass, slingshotting, failure to insert, etc)

Edited by gigs

If you Tell them you're collecting parts to put an auto drive one of their presses, I believe they will tell you pound sand..

So, I've had an issue from day one (which was only about 6-8 weeks ago) with my Dillon press. It wouldn't reliably feed 9mm and .40 S&W cases. Sometimes they would fall over on their side, or tilt/jam, or stick and slingshot across the room when being shuttled from the drop to the shell plate.

Since I'm part collecting to create my own version of an auto-drive (with the help of JMORRIS here on BE), I thought I had better get this issue resolved before I get the auto-drive built.

Viewing the shuttle casting as a feed ramp I got extremely lucky. I took the 9mm shuttle casting and got out the Dremel and some Simichrome. Before you know it, I had that casting looking like a fine piece of polished jewelry. I then pulled out the .40 shuttle casting, and low and behold, there's a big ding in the feed ramp. I polished it as well.

Now, the 9mm had ZERO issues in failure to feed, but because of the ding in the .40, I'm still getting maybe 1% that fail to feed. Guess I'll call Dillon Monday and see if they will fix me up with a new feed ramp or tell me to pack sand.

I'm sorry to say that I am lost regarding what you guys are talking about, you have any pictures to describe what we are discussing

Sounds like he's talking about a 650... the 1050 doesn't have those kind of issues.

I've found that mounting a small piece of steel bar stock hanging on the back of the polymer cam ramp to give it a little weight in the back helps keep it from bouncing around so much.

He's probably referring to the station one locator. Be careful polishing that, the rails erode easily. I eventually had to make a station one locator out of steel because mine kept wearing/peening and causing the above mentioned issues (falling brass, slingshotting, failure to insert, etc)

I'm sorry to say that I don't know exactly what you guys are discussing and I'm having a hard time understanding the problems that were talked about above and what modifications you guys did to make the problems go away are there any pictures that you can post so it can help clarify for me

Correct!

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/25284/catid/50/XL650_Station_One_locators

Yes, it's made of a pretty soft zinc diecast.

Dillon is owning up to their No BS warranty. I e-mailed them with the issue, and they promptly sent me a replacement. I'm impressed. I'll probably put a light polish on this one, just to get rid of any potential risers that might snag the shell case in transit.

Put a light coating of grease on the underside of the station one locator. This helps dampen vibrations and keep it in place. And yes, an auto drive will void your warranty.

I noticed grease on the bottom of that locator, as supplied in the press when I got it, but I cleaned it all off as I couldn't figure out why it was there. Now I know.why it was there, but it seems like a band-aid fix to the design. Like maybe that issue didn't crop up, and grease was the easiest solution once it was identified.

I have run about 4,000 rounds (deprime/resize only) today through the press. .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .38 SPL, and 9MM. The ONLY one I'm still having problems with, even with the new locator, is the .40 S&W. After polishing the 9mm locator, ALL of the issues went away, and thats with no grease. I'm going to polish the .40 S&W locator later tonight and will have to wait and see if the issue is resolved on the next batch of .40 S&W I get.

Here's a couple photos of the jam in progress. Notice one is jammed against the side, while the other is tilted forward.

post-48714-0-00203700-1380313774_thumb.jpost-48714-0-60320600-1380313779_thumb.j

look they are bouncing to me. Put a dab of grease under it and polish out the nicks. Those nicks really do a number on the feed system. I had a problem with a lot of brass coming through upside down and it really nicked that plate up. I buffed and polished and it got to be just about 100% reliable then I learned about the grease to make the brass "thud" when it drops.

look they are bouncing to me. Put a dab of grease under it and polish out the nicks. Those nicks really do a number on the feed system. I had a problem with a lot of brass coming through upside down and it really nicked that plate up. I buffed and polished and it got to be just about 100% reliable then I learned about the grease to make the brass "thud" when it drops.

I'll try polishing first. After my post yesterday, I finished the 1/2 of a 5-gallon bucket of 9mm I had. Not a single shell plate mis-feed, and that's the plate I polished the snot out of...and it has no grease.

If the polishing doesn't work, I'll try the grease next.

Sounds like there may be a market for steel station one locators after all. I made mine on a manual mill and it was pretty labor intensive. I'd have to get a quote to see how feasible it would be.

I love Dillon stuff but I don't understand Dillon's love affair with zinc and polymer parts, especially considering their generous warranty.

Sounds like there may be a market for steel station one locators after all. I made mine on a manual mill and it was pretty labor intensive. I'd have to get a quote to see how feasible it would be.

I love Dillon stuff but I don't understand Dillon's love affair with zinc and polymer parts, especially considering their generous warranty.

Steel is overkill. 6061 would work just fine, especially if it was hard anodized or teflon coated.

For me the answer has been to "pack" grease under the locator.

Not a thin layer of grease, but rather a large glob of grease toward the rear of the locator that squeezes out of the sides.

Messy yes, but it has eliminated the problem for me.

Well, she now runs like a champ, with NO grease under the shuttle plate (station one locator).

Just need to polish the snot out of the shuttle plates to get rid of any sharp edges that could cause the shells to snag.

Now my only qualms are the rare upside down brass, which I don't think there's a means to fix.

I have never used any grease on the underside of the station 1 locator and have had no problem like the OP. But I do clean them with brake cleaner after every reloading session and then after they are dry I spray them 3M Dry Silicone spray. That stuff works so good and leaves NO residue and its slick as a babies butt.

Now my only qualms are the rare upside down brass, which I don't think there's a means to fix.

take the case feeder off of the press and mount it to the bench

Aha, I'll give it a try. Certainly can't hurt!

I have never used any grease on the underside of the station 1 locator and have had no problem like the OP. But I do clean them with brake cleaner after every reloading session and then after they are dry I spray them 3M Dry Silicone spray. That stuff works so good and leaves NO residue and its slick as a babies butt.

I clean with brake cleaner as well, but I never thought about the 3m Silicon spray. Will have to try that as well.