Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 21", how many + shells when buying extension tubes?

jkrispies

Sorry for the super-basic newbie question.

If I were to purchase an extension tube for a Benelli M2 21", which model would I purchase to get a flush(ish) barrel to tube length fit. It looks like they sell them listed as +2, +4, etc.

I figured Nordic Components, but all suggestions appreciated.

Also, I'd rather not go with an extended choke tube, but if I had to do that to get a flush fit, more info on that (suggested choke tube, length of extension tube, etc.) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J

"Flush(ish)" And, yes, tactical in as much as the gun will serve primary duty as a home defense and camping shotgun so I'm trying to keep the length down while maximizing ammo capacity. It will be used (for short term anyway) in competition secondarilly, and those competitions will be in "outlaw" local matches until I'm proficient enough to take it to "real" matches. At that point, after I've got real experience under my belt to know what direction I'm really going in with competition divsions, I'll probably look at buying a second barrel and extension tube set if necessary. For the moment, then, I'm wondering what extension tube will get me the closest to keep the OAL of the gun down?

The Nordic +5 is about flush with the end of the 21" barrel. This tube will let you load 8 in the tube....but sometimes more than 8 is better as Pat was implying

Thanks-- that's exactly the info I was looking for. I did Brownell's chat for customer service expecting +5 to be the anser, but he told me that I had to get a +3 which didn't sound right (and doesn't exist) so I thought I'd double check here. I totally understand the advice on going with a longer extension tube to protect the barrel when dumping in the blue cannister as well as obviously more ammo, but for the immediate future (ie, home defense or slugged up in the camper when we're in bear country) I'm more concerned with keeping the size to a minimum. Will definitely look at a longer tube (and maybe barrel) after I've gotten more trigger time and know exactly what my preferences are. Thanks, J

Nordic shows the length of their tubes in inches as well as how many rounds extra rounds.

the M2 has a 3 round capacity . A +5 tube will be flush with the barrel.

You can always buy a longer tube and spring to swap out if you want to increase the capacity.

Nordic shows the length of their tubes in inches as well as how many rounds extra rounds.

the M2 has a 3 round capacity . A +5 tube will be flush with the barrel.

You can always buy a longer tube and spring to swap out if you want to increase the capacity.

Perfect-- I'll play around on their website in the future. I guess I was just tired last night and didn't even think to check there...

Curious what your guys' opinions are on the extended ported tubes. I'm looking at the Briley but I'm sure there's other quality makers. Do the ports actually work on muzzle flip, or just marketing? (fyi, if there's one out there that actually works to control muzzle flip rather than general recoil, I'd be interested in hearing about it.) Thanks, J

The ported choke tubes do little, if anything, for recoil/muzzle rise. The real purpose of the ports is to slow the wad and help shot patterning.

Barrel porting can help (a little) with muzzle rise - but check into what this does for muzzle flash for your HD gun and know that it general moves you into “open” class in most 3-gun and related competitions. (Using a ported choke tube will land you in open class in most competitions also)

• 2 weeks later...