Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Updating Practiscore in Nook Simple Touch - HELP!

1bigshooter

I am able to update in my android tablet, simply from the google play store.

I have 6 Nook Simple Touch's, that were rooted using one of the older methods (Touchnooter maybe?).

I have saved the practiscore-5.apk file to a microsd card, can't seem to make that work.

I know there must be a simple solution to this - but it is escaping me.

Looks like my version of 'file manager' is Super Manager - can't quite seem to get the file transferred with that either.

Sorry for being clueless here guys!

Thanks in advance.

I've found I need to Uninstall/Delete the current version of PractiScore (hold down on the PractiScore icon until the option to Uninstall comes up), before it will let me install another version. Once it's uninstalled, I just click on the APK file on the SD card and it installs.

I am able to update in my android tablet, simply from the google play store.

I have 6 Nook Simple Touch's, that were rooted using one of the older methods (Touchnooter maybe?).

I have saved the practiscore-5.apk file to a microsd card, can't seem to make that work.

Looks like my version of 'file manager' is Super Manager - can't quite seem to get the file transferred with that either.

What's happening when you insert the card and use your file manager to find the .apk file and tap on it?

I've found I need to Uninstall/Delete the current version of PractiScore (hold down on the PractiScore icon until the option to Uninstall comes up), before it will let me install another version. Once it's uninstalled, I just click on the APK file on the SD card and it installs.

In going from 1.2.3 to 1.2.4, I found I didn't have to do that. However, going from 1.2.0 to 1.2.2, I DID have to uninstall first, which meant I had to re-establish my defaults again (change "android device" name in the sync screen to something meaningful).

In going from 1.2.3 to 1.2.4, I found I didn't have to do that. However, going from 1.2.0 to 1.2.2, I DID have to uninstall first, which meant I had to re-establish my defaults again (change "android device" name in the sync screen to something meaningful).

Bill, I believe we informed you that you will need to uninstall 1.2.0 dev build in order to install any official releases after. So, this experience should not affect regular users who wasn't helping us out with testing of Practiscore dev builds for Android.

I think the problem may be in my file manager. I have one older Nook, running an older OS, was able to delete PS, and then go to 'Super Manager' and click on the .apk and it loaded. The Nooks with the newer OS (sorry don't know the version) won't seem to open Super Manager, so I can't even get to it.

First thing to try when you can't update is to go and download the .apk file again. I've had downloads seemingly finish normally that wouldn't actually run and downloading them again fixed it. If you're looking for a file manager and aren't running the nook graphical manager rooting package (which already has relaunch built in), try andExplorer. it's good.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the ADB Wireless utilty to download and install PractiScore onto the Nooks. I created a procedure for this and attached it to this post. The ADB Wireless utility is really easy to use and you can quickly update several Nooks one after another in only a few minutes.

The ADB Wireless Utility is part of the Android Rooting Image used on the Nook. You simply need to locate the icon for it on the rooted OS desktop.

For the PC, you will have to download and install the Android SDK Developer Kit as that contains the ADB Wireless Unility. Its kind of painful to download and install the whole SDK Developer Kit just to use the ADB Wireless utility. But that is the only place I was able to find it to download. Maybe someone knows of a link for just the ADB Wireless Utility that can be used on a windows PC?

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

PS Software Update on NST Using ADB Wireless 10-8-2013.doc

(No offense intended here)

We still think going into a "dos" prompt ('console' in windows) and keying in ip addrs and port numbers is the way to go?! Nononononono! I'm sorry, but that's the kind of propeller-head nonsense we need to steer clear of. Chris Wren is the techiest person I know, he lives and dies by console commands and even he doesn't do this. Use dropbox instead; it's SO much easier and once you set this up the first time, you can update a fleet of nooks in about 10 minutes.

1. Go get a dropbox account (they're free) and associate it with your PC. Place the latest version of practiscore (whatever it is) in the dropbox folder of your choice.
  2. Go get however many microsd cards that are needed in order to place one in each of your nooks and leave it there. Class 4 does fine, 2gb should be able to be had for $3-$4 each, maybe less.
  3. If you don't already have dropbox on your nooks, go get it here and download it to your pc. https://www.dropbox.com/android
  4. Now, how you get the dropbox.apk file over to the nooks is up to you. You can either copy it to each of the microsd cards and insert into the nooks, or with the cards already in place, plug each nook into the pc with the usb cable and copy the .apk file to the microsd card that way.
  5. On the nook, use whatever you have for a file manager to navigate over to and launch the dropbox.apk file to install dropbox on the nook.
  6. Sign into dropbox on each nook so that you can see the shared folder.
  7. The version of practiscore that you copied into dropbox on your pc is now available on the nooks. Tap on it to install the latest version.

Now every time you want to update practiscore, simply download it on your pc and place it in drop box. Then goto each of your nooks, launch drop box, find the new version of the practiscore.apk file that you just put out there, and tap on it.

Way, WAY easier than dos prompts, console commands, ip addrs, and port numbers.

I tried installing the most current version of dropbox on the nooks and it did not work.

I was able to find a previous version available for download that worked just fine though.

I got it from the first post in this link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1408387

Having dropbox makes doing the updates a breeze. The only caveat is, you will need a microSD card installed in each nook for dropbox to work properly.

I picked up 10 4Gb ones from amazon for something like 4 bucks each.

Good luck,

Steve