Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA and bipods?

I only go to matches to see the how fast the open guys can deploy their bipods. Now that they can start with them open and it is no longer a race to see who can get them out earlier I find no reason to even go. I feel great sadness for the loss of this pointless bit of accessory manipulation.

I don't really care since its the same for everybody. But if I were in charge I would say they should have to start with them up. The reason being is this is a practical shooting sport and in the field rather its hunting or something else you generally don't leave your bipod legs down. They fold up for a reason. Just my devils advocate position.

Pat

I had a great bipod moment at SMM3G this year... shot some close range rifle stuff, headed toward the long-range position, flipped the bipod legs down.... except the bipod had fallen off somewhere uprange... the video looked like I was shooing gnats off of my hand guard. :roflol:

But I'm all about letting open be open. The 170mm pistol mag rule doesn't make any sense either.

I don't really care since its the same for everybody. But if I were in charge I would say they should have to start with them up. The reason being is this is a practical shooting sport and in the field rather its hunting or something else you generally don't leave your bipod legs down. They fold up for a reason. Just my devils advocate position.

Pat

They are usually folded up when you don't plan to need them. Like when the rifle is in the trunk or your shooting bag. If your holding it and you are going to go shoot they are down. That's my train of thought. You have a mag in the gun and its loaded, right?

Pat

They are usually folded up when you don't plan to need them. Like when the rifle is in the trunk or your shooting bag. If your holding it and you are going to go shoot they are down. That's my train of thought. You have a mag in the gun and its loaded, right?

Good point. Perhaps I will have to have some stages with the rifle in the barrel with the bi pod folded but if it starts out in your hands it can be deployed.

Pat

In the spirit of practical, how about we start with the rifle in the safe and soundly asleep in a bed next to our "stage wife", or better yet the timer should beep during intimate relations to start the stage? I can imagine the stage description now..... Start position is prone, naked and on top of your "Partner", upon start signal, dismount and retrieve your "gun", engage all targets as they become visible from within the boudoir. 5 second procedural for not being aroused at the start signal. Clay targets are shotgun only, your help in reseting the stage is appreciated, failure to assist can result in a match DQ for unsportsmanlike conduct.

When we try and use the practical argument to justify the rules that we want to see in the GAME we play we are introducing an argument that makes little if any sense. People are wearing brightly colored jerseys with advertising on them! This is golf with guns, not basic training. Untill there are no more shower curtain rods being used as magazine tubes on shotguns, there is no way that the term "practical" should be allowed anywhere close to three gun.

The other side of the coin is that the word practical can be construed to allow the argument for no rules at all, after all if this was not a game then who would follow rules anyway? I have heard the practical argument applied to remove magazine and equipment restrictions from the "tactical" divisions, and I have heard it used for a reason to make even more restrictions depending on what the person arguing for the change feels is practical.

But then I might be just a little bitchy because I started dry october early this year, so what difference does it make if the bipod is open or closed?

:eatdrink:

emoticon used for ironic effect only

In the spirit of practical, how about we start with the rifle in the safe and soundly asleep in a bed next to our "stage wife", or better yet the timer should beep during intimate relations to start the stage? I can imagine the stage description now..... Start position is prone, naked and on top of your "Partner", upon start signal, dismount and retrieve your "gun", engage all targets as they become visible from within the boudoir. 5 second procedural for not being aroused at the start signal. Clay targets are shotgun only, your help in reseting the stage is appreciated, failure to assist can result in a match DQ for unsportsmanlike conduct.

When we try and use the practical argument to justify the rules that we want to see in the GAME we play we are introducing an argument that makes little if any sense. People are wearing brightly colored jerseys with advertising on them! This is golf with guns, not basic training. Untill there are no more shower curtain rods being used as magazine tubes on shotguns, there is no way that the term "practical" should be allowed anywhere close to three gun.

The other side of the coin is that the word practical can be construed to allow the argument for no rules at all, after all if this was not a game then who would follow rules anyway? I have heard the practical argument applied to remove magazine and equipment restrictions from the "tactical" divisions, and I have heard it used for a reason to make even more restrictions depending on what the person arguing for the change feels is practical.

But then I might be just a little bitchy because I started dry october early this year, so what difference does it make if the bipod is open or closed?

:eatdrink:

emoticon used for ironic effect only

With respect I think your really stretching with that one but it is amusing.

Pat