Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much lube?

Zmego

I know this is a loaded topic (no pun intended), but how much lube we talking? I used to run my guns really wet and someone told me that I was using too much so now I feel like I don't run enough...

John Paul, the owner of JP enterprises has a saying that goes something like this, If there isn't drops of oil on your elbows and your glasses after shooting, then your rifle doesn't have enough lube in it. See this article - http://www.jprifles.com/3.1_tech.php?document_id=172

I live in a very dry, dusty environment in Nevada and keep my rifle "very wet".

I know this is a loaded topic (no pun intended), but how much lube we talking? I used to run my guns really wet and someone told me that I was using too much so now I feel like I don't run enough...

ARs are like old women, the more lube the better.

I usually put a couple of drops on a rag/towel and I wipe down the carrier until the soot is out. I generally run chrome carriers. So I basically wipe it down until it's all silver again.

Then I put four drops on the carrier. One on each contact point on the carrier.

One/two drops on cam pin/hole.

One drop on the ejector (base of the ejector on the bolt face).

A drop each on the carrier's holes that's visible through the ejection port.

I don't run it "wet" like a lot of people.

Wet is the best way. Lube keeps the carbon fouling suspended in it like a soup and its plyable. If you don't use enough lube the fouling will solidify slowing down your gun and eventually stopping it.

Pat

I've been trying to use more lube on my rifles too, on the suggestion of JP's article. My question is though - whether or not you guys make any attempt to lubricate the firing pin, or leave it completely dry?