Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about swaging 9mm WCC military brass ...........

chopps

I have alot of the WCC brass and going to send a bit of it off for swaging but wanted to play with some of it on my dillon 600.

When swaging are you just trying to get the primer to sit in the cup where it slides in or do you want it kinda a bigger radius ?

Some that I have that is already swaged ( range pick ups ) has a much bigger radius than what I have done that seems to sit in the cup and slde right in.

I am matching brass up so its the same that I am checking VS what I am doing.

Just seems to me the smaller the swage the better but I have no idea really.

Would be nice if some one could post a pic of a few unswaged and a few swaged beside each other for reference if possible.

Also in the dillon 600 kit kit there was 3 dies and I assume its the medium size one we use on 9mm ?

Thanks for any and all help from this group.

Does the below pic as far as amount of swage look right ?

http://s529.photobucket.com/user/choppspics/media/ed4bc419-073b-4480-9c92-e8fa82d86754_zpsdd3f3be4.jpg.html

Edited by chopps

Those in the photo look like nothing those I have swaged with my 600. The 600 I have came with two swage rods, large and small. Use the small swage rod for 9mm, 223 and others using small primers.

You are not reshaping the primer pocket, only removing the crimp which is a very small ring at the open end of the primer pocket. Done properly you will not see a dramatic difference in the primer pocket.

Edited by retarmyaviator

Those in the photo look like nothing those I have swaged with my 600. The 600 I have came with two swage rods, large and small. Use the small swage rod for 9mm, 223 and others using small primers.

You are not reshaping the primer pocket, only removing the crimp which is a very small ring at the open end of the primer pocket. Done properly you will not see a dramatic difference in the primer pocket.

That makes sense those I found on the range and I thought that they were way overboard. The way I am doing them is like you say very unnoticeable but the primer will just barely sit in the hole level ( upside down of corse just see how far in go's in ) and the 650 push's it in.

I've seen the effects of a overly swaged primer pocket.

Depending on the pressures of your rounds you're using (9 major in the instance I saw) the primer will fall out before or after you fire a round.

I've seen the effects of a overly swaged primer pocket.
Depending on the pressures of your rounds you're using (9 major in the instance I saw) the primer will fall out before or after you fire a round.

I just shoot at the range and ocassionaly at the IDPA. If the recipe says 4.4 to 4.8 powder I generally settle in between at 4.6 to be safe on a 124 RN bullet with HP38.

Quick update,

I swaged a few with it and with only barely getting the die in the hole the primers sit on top of the rim nicely ( sits flay on the inner rim ) and seats well.

Now I was at the range today and talking with a guy there and he said " run the die all the way till it bottoms out and its done" well I did that on one brass casing and the primer was loose enough it would fall out. Funny thing is that this guy is real good at shooting and loading but this peice of advice was 100% wrong for my dillon 600.

Like I said when I just run the die in enough to spread it at the top the primer hole so it just barely sits in there

then the press seats as tight as it can be after swedgeing.

Does the above sentence in bold/underlined sound right to the rest of you loaders ?

Edited by chopps

The cases in your pic appear to have been reamed, not swaged. It could have been done with a case mouth chamfering tool, or a primer pocket reamer most commonly used on 223/5.56 military cases.

All you really need to do is remove the little lip that held the primer in place, it's not really necessary or desireable to reshape the whole primer pocket.

The cases in your pic appear to have been reamed, not swaged. It could have been done with a case mouth chamfering tool, or a primer pocket reamer most commonly used on 223/5.56 military cases.

All you really need to do is remove the little lip that held the primer in place, it's not really necessary or desireable to reshape the whole primer pocket.

Thats what I had thought just the top where it would settle in place and the 650 pushs it up in tightly.

It was just odd he told me to run it in till it stops wherew then the primer falls in and out freely :)