Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1 lengthened/welded lifter

JJH

Can anyone give me a couple good pictures of a welded M1 lifter? i just picked up a new to me M1 and am looking to start shooting 3-gun next season. My M1 already ghost loads, and has no trouble cycling low brass loads. So, longer mag tube and the lifter mod are all I need to at least have a good start. I would like to get on this sooner rather than later, as this will be my pheasant hunting posting gun for the fall.

Thanks

Perfect guys! Any chance you have one of the side profile, as I know I need to angle the tip down. I am aware that portion is not necessarily science, rather a little tweak and try until a setup works.

This is a Taran gun. I have see many and tweaked many M1, M2, and VersaMax carrier/lifters . I have seen them hang low and hang tight. Lips turned down and straight (with other tweaks). I have seen them all work.

The only length issue is whether it will scrape/ stop on a shell or the shell follower when moving up.

Depends on which follower you use.

CAUTION!!!! Do not use live ammo to test and measure after re-installing.. A c/lifter that is too long centers on the shell primer when moving past the tube. ... Not good.

post-11850-0-23273800-1378399080_thumb.j

No Rubbing on the head of the shell is just ONE of the issues issue you have to be aware of. The reason for the slight bend down in the front is that once welded up and lengthened, the lifter now will lift the nose of the shell higher than it did before, which causes the nose of the shell to jam in the top locking lug recess. A slight (about 8 degree) down bend is required to avoid this type of jam. you also have to make sure that the legs of the lifter are tight and parallel to the trigger housing or you will experience a jam where the bolt locks to the rear under shooting and requires a push on the bolt handle to send it back forward.

If your m1 is an older one with the simple crescent in the end as opposed to the deeper V, then you don't need to weld it up

Interesting, as mine only has the small crescent. Maybe a mod I hold off on until I rip myself open.

Thanks for all the info guys. Iknow I can send it off to have it done, but having spent many years foodservice TIG welding, and a couple years taking gunsmithing classes, I am sure I can get it figured out pretty easily. I just figured I would save some time doing homework, rather than to dive straight in.