Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have heard the following re 223 bullets

Mikelindsey

The vast majority of centerfire 22 caliber rifle cartridges use a bullet with a .224 outside diameter. 220 Swift, 219 Wasp, 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, all use the same diameter bullet. If I recall correctly, there are some .223 diameter bullets on the market. I think they are for some older/more obscure chamberings like 22 hornet, 218 bee.... etc.

Be certain to buy .224 bullets for use in the 223 Remington. This should be covered in any cartridge reloading manual.

Mike, put 'em up on an auction site - there are still many pre-war Hornets and oddball whatnots around that use .223" bullets.

Even if you take a beating selling them, you've still recouped some of your dough.

Mark

The vast majority of centerfire 22 caliber rifle cartridges use a bullet with a .224 outside diameter. 220 Swift, 219 Wasp, 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, all use the same diameter bullet. If I recall correctly, there are some .223 diameter bullets on the market. I think they are for some older/more obscure chamberings like 22 hornet, 218 bee.... etc.

Be certain to buy .224 bullets for use in the 223 Remington. This should be covered in any cartridge reloading manual.

Close.... Current/modern firearms chambered in things like .22 Hornet, .218 Bee etc.. all use the same diameter bullets as the larger caliber's .224" The reason there are .223" bullets out there is that many older rifles chambered in .22 Hornet began life as .22 LR caliber rifles and they were rechambered and the bolt face opened up. .22 LR barrels are .223" diameter so if you use a .22 LR barrel for a .22 Hornet you need to load .223" bullets. Most here understand that if you use .224" bullets in one of those guns it could lead to high pressure issues so companies still offer .223" bullets for loading those old rifles. Once more .22 cal centerfire calibers began to be introduced they standardized with the .224" dia bullets. Infact, .22 Magnum rimfire barrels are .224" and the ammo is loaded with regular jacketed .224" bullets.

Also, you might be surprised how un obscure many of these cartridges are, especially the .22 Hornet. I have 7 firearms chambered in .22 Hornet from makers like Anschutz, Ruger & T/C and CZ and Browning currently offer rifles chambered in .22H to name a few. In a different segment of the shooting community small calibers like the hornet and calibers based on the small cases are extremely popular.

Neal in AZ