Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Boston Butt - how long is too long for the rub?

For you BBQ masters out there......

I wanted to smoke a Boston Butt this weekend on Sunday, but I'm shooting the GA State match Saturday afternoon and probably won't be home until close to midnight. Don't really feel like prepping a Butt that late at night. I'm thinking of trimming and applying the rub on Friday night. Would 36 hours be too long for rub to be on before smoking? Would it effect the quality of the taste?

Glenn,,

Go ahead and apply the rub, wrap in foil or plastic.I do very little trimming on the butt itself.I always put the fat side down and cook for 8 to 10 hours 225 deg..you did good sat.in spartainburg

I've smoked a lot of but. Dry rub as long as you want. Three tips I will give you if you like an exterior with a distinct "bark". Trim the fat. It does nothing but fill the drip pan and wash the rub off meat thets on a lower rack. It does not make meat juicer, tender or anything else some will claim. Without the fat you have twice as much surface area for spices and bark. Immediately before you put the meat in the smoker rub the entire outside of each piece with brown sugar. As much as you can get to stick. Do not do this too soon or it will melt away and drip off. Lastly use a mustard based sauce applied only during about the last 1/2 hr. just long enough to carmalize.

I have rubbed one a day earlier than I needed. Nothing was different from normal.

I like to rub my butts down with yellow mustard before I put on the rub. It helps the rub stick and makes a better bark IMO. After 14 hours on the smoker you can't taste any mustard flavor, only the rub.

Like said before trimming the fat is best in my opinion. I don't apply rub until it's going in the smoker, because the rub I use has salt in it. Some say that the salt applied too early before cooking will make it "hammy". After all it basically is almost a ham. Unless you take it to an extreme and do it like a week before, I can't really see where it would be a problem. A day or so? I have my doubts. I need to thaw out the one I have in the freezer and get it going.

Edited by Shadowrider

Like said before trimming the fat is best in my opinion. I don't apply rub until it's going in the smoker, because the rub I use has salt in it. Some say that the salt applied to early before cooking will make it "hammy". After all it basically is almost a ham. Unless you take it to an extreme and do it like a week before, I can't really see where it would be a problem. A day or so? I have my doubts. I need to thaw out the one I have in the freezer and get it going.

Good point about salt. I make my own rub, and it is salt free.