Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions for Scope for Manually Operated Rifle

Religious Shooter

I am thinking about sending the rifle off to JP to have one of his comps mounted

Hey Nate, stop thinking about it and do it. I am also doing the El-cheapo MOR thing and other than a Leupold scope, the only other serious bucks in it are in the JP tank style muzzle brake. What a difference. If I can't get a first round hit on a steel target way out there because my dope's a little off, I can always get a second round hit by watching for the impact spot through the scope and hanging some offset on the next round sent downrange. I don't worry about crowding the scope on that rifle anymore (it used to bridge me when I shot prone for more than a round, or two). Now it shoot's like a .223 bolt rifle (it's a .270 pushing SMK 135's at 2750fps) and I always see the target through what little recoil is left. It's the best damn modification I've put on that rifle.

--

Regards,

The Leupold Mark 4 PR mentioned is a very good scope for the money ( less than $500 ) if you look real hard. Also look at the IOR 2.5 X 10 ill. retical and 10 mils. by 1/2 mil. below the center dot. Worked for me at the RM3G MOR. LOL Keith

My dad and I do quite a bit of Tactical rifle shooting and we both use Leupold 6.5-20 scopes . I used to use the 4.5-14 but when you start stretching out past 600 the extra oomph is appreciated . Word to the wise about muzzle brakes , if you plan on shooting outside of USPSA's MOR arena a lot of matches dont allow the brakes . To get around this guys are having a thread protector made so that they can remove the brake for the matches that dont allow it . A lot of guys who are just getting into the sport are using the Bushnell Elite 3200 10X as you just cant beat the price for the quality of optics . The other reason for a fixed power scope is that they have less parts to break (a very good thing when you are handing it off to a Marine in a combat zone).

John -

www.defensiveedge.net is his website. Shawn is having good success with 338 bolt guns. (3/4" at 300 yards kind of success) If I was going to comp my bolt gun (and I just might so I can stick a can on it), he'd be the guy I'd talk to.

As big of an ignorant blowhard I am, if Shawn tells me to do something, I shut the hell up and do it. Strange, but true.

He did great work on my shotgun. George, I appreciate it. I will probably do it. I wonder if they can fit one with a nut so it could be removed for matches that don't allow it. I shot Bruce Gary's AR with one of the tank breaks and it actually feels like it is pulling away from your shoulder. Nate

I shot Bruce Gary's AR with one of the tank breaks and it actually feels like it is pulling away from your shoulder. Nate

You should shoot it now! Recently had an adjustable gas-block put on. Between that and the pneumatic buffer, it shoots like a 10/22. The thing does not *move*.

Bruce