Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear Plugs vs Muffs

Reshoot

I switched to the Hear-Pro amp 39 electronic plugs and couldn't imagine going back to muffs. Super top notch people to deal with. Half the price of ESP and a better plug. I am not a sponsored shooter and I paid full price for them and would gladly do it again.

Jan

Thanks I'm going to take a look at these.

What I did very recently was build my own molded ear-plugs with a combination of the sonic defenders and the radians custom molded ear plug kit.

Total cost is between $30 and $40 dollars.

Basically, you remove the ear canal tips of the sonic defenders, put the radians mold putty into your ear, and press the sonic defender into that.

Let the whole thing set up, then remove and use a needle or a dremel bit to bore a hole through the plugs down to where the defender tips reach.

You might not get it right the first time, in which case you can cut off the radians plug portion, buy another kit ($10-$15) and try again with the same sonic defender tips.

I've been quite pleased with the results so far.

I only like muffs for standing around in-between stages however I only like shooting in plain plugs. my cheekweld will usually push up on my muffs causing a bad situation. I have used the howard leight impacts for a while and have grown to hate them. They don't seam to block much noise, getting ready to order up some MSA's

Oakley's and muffs give me a headache. The arms of the glasses are just a bit too thick and put pressure on my skull. I've been wearing Nike glasses and they are OK with muffs. I can't stand to hear my breathing and heatbeat with plugs.

Add .357 Sig to the list of guns that are hard to be around.

Be careful using nothing but ear plugs. There is a bone behind the ear that helps in hearing. It transmits sounds via vibration just like the drum. Over time exposure of this area can cause hearing loss as well. For me I wear muffs whenever possible.

This is correct.

I´m a work safety officer so that´s my job to know, every occupational health doctor will tell you this.

There are two kinds of sounds, structure-borne and airborne sound.

The airborne sound is almost killed by the plugs, but the structure-borne sound isn´t.

The bone area behind your ear acts like a drum, catching vibes, and helps you to hear better.

The muffs don´t cover it totally but they shut down the vibes of the bone.

Whenever possible, use muffs.

If you feel better, use both.

There are big qualitiy differences between earmuffs.

The best sound absorbing muffs I know, are the Peltor Optime III.

Good for pistol, but almost useless for rifles, because of the big muffs.

The smaller the muffs, so you can say, the worse the sound protection.

For rifle shooting I use the MSA Sordin Supreme combined with any plugs.

Yes, they are expensive, but your hearing is priceless and can´t be repaired, so.

With the gel cuffs they work pefect for wearer of glasses.

Be aware, that a rise of only THREE decibel means a doubling of noise!

JayJay1 out.

Edited by jayjay1

I used to only wear plugs, but once I switched to muffs, I couldn't go back. I like being able to plug in my iPod at the range!

Lol, there are muffs with radio or plug sockets for any kind of music source.

But don´t turn the music to loud, or you will rise the damage.... :goof:

So we are all curious now!

Tell us, which music do you play when you are shooting in a match?

Rocky, Star Wars, Twilight of the gods, Flintsones,..... which one?

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

Jayjay

Be careful using nothing but ear plugs. There is a bone behind the ear that helps in hearing. It transmits sounds via vibration just like the drum. Over time exposure of this area can cause hearing loss as well. For me I wear muffs whenever possible.

This is correct.

I´m a work safety officer so that´s my job to know, every occupational health doctor will tell you this.

There are two kinds of sounds, structure-borne and airborne sound.

The airborne sound is almost killed by the plugs, but the structure-borne sound isn´t.

The bone area behind your ear acts like a drum, catching vibes, and helps you to hear better.

The muffs don´t cover it totally but they shut down the vibes of the bone.

Whenever possible, use muffs.

If you feel better, use both.

Be aware, that a rise of only THREE decibel means a doubling of noise!

JayJay1 out.

I recall reading a study years ago that something like 60% of damaging vibrations come in thorough the bone as you describe. Don't quote me on the amount, but it was enough to scare me into NRR 33 Pro Ears and Radian gel plugs nearly all the time, and reducing my indoor range time. If anyone has it or recalls the study, I'd like to read it again.

• 2 months later...

Field and Stream had a article sometime in 2012 or 2011. Remember that the NRR ratings are not the definitive number as to how much sound they block. Also all electronics are turned off for the testing. There was an alternative rating system proposed in the late 90's that gave the consumer a better range of protection. I believe it was called NRRh. I will try and find a link and repost. I would recommend hearing protection that is comfortable to wear for hours at a time. I see to many guy flip up there muff only to get blasted by the next shooter.

I shoot in Georgia heat and humidity. I wore muffs for years but finally broke down and had some custom molded and filtered plugs made by a local company called Premear. It was the best $125 I have spend in my shooting career.

It amazes me that shooters will spend hundreds, and many times thousands upon thousands of dollars on guns, rigs, ammo,etc... But when it comes to our hearing we tend to worry about cost. I am not pointing fingures, as I am in the same boat. However, when we are old and grey, how many of us will wish we would have spent more money on protecting our hearing.

It amazes me that shooters will spend hundreds, and many times thousands upon thousands of dollars on guns, rigs, ammo,etc... But when it comes to our hearing we tend to worry about cost. I am not pointing fingures, as I am in the same boat. However, when we are old and grey, how many of us will wish we would have spent more money on protecting our hearing.

Well said! I couldnt agree more. Im still young but lost some hearing througout jobs ive had the past few years, mill maintenance, firefighter, working in dads gunshop with indoor range many years ago..

I sure wish I had wore some good muffs back then.