Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 - 2013 F250 sd - diesel - feedback wanted

Ok Folks,

I am looking to pick up a used F250 sd with the 6.7 powerstroke diesel. F250 is in the lead right now for me.

I am looking for feedback on these trucks. What do you like/dislike? Tell me about 'life with a diesel' (this would be my first diesel), would you buy an extended warranty, and etc?

Looking for info on maintenance costs/gotchas, I understand maintenance and repair costs are high on diesels, but looking to understand what is typical. I already know oil changes are pricey, so I will likely be diy'ing them.

This truck would get used a LITTLE around town and to/from the airport. But eventually would be used to pull a 5er.

I'm not really interested in horror stories, I understand they are out there and feel for anyone that has lived through it.

If you'd rather pm, feel free.

Thanks in advance.

Byron

Currently have 2011 f350 crew long bed. Best truck yet. Have had 97, 02 and 06. 06 6.0 sucked. 6.7 has been bullet proof. Oil changes are going to be pricey and you have to add exhaust cleaning fluid. Make CERTAIN you fill with diesel not gas. You don't even want to know. Avg 17.3 mpg hw and town. Tows a backhoe with ease. Quiet smooth ride and a/c can't be beat

I got my first diesel in 2006 and it's a GMC 2500 and I like it. Bought because of things I read about diesel trucks that can be made to produce more power with a plug in tuner. The price of diesel was reasonable at the time.

I don't use the truck often, only going to the range on Sundays so it only has 21,000+ miles on it. I did buy the extended warranty after hearing how much these things cost to repair. That was a waste since I put so little miles on it.

However, my brother bought a used 2005 GMC 2500 since he always wanted a diesel. His truck had about 71,000 miles on it and he bought the extended warranty. Soon after he bought it, he had to replace the idler and pitman arms, the door latch switch and something else. All those repairs would have cost more than what he paid for the extended warranty.

Me, my truck needs the door latch switch since the dome light does not come on when I open the door. It cost me $218.00 (that is just for the part as I will install it myself).

Check out prices for filters (oil and fuel) that you will change often, some guys buy in bulk to save money. Oil will be costly (I need 10 qts) especially the synthetic stuff. I use a Power Service Diesel Kleen additive to keep the injectors lubed (this can cost in the thousands if they have to be replaced). Knowing this, I tend to take better care of my truck.

I keep a spare fuel filter in the truck in case the one mounted has problems (clogged, leaking) as the injectors don't like air.

Be prepared to pay some bucks for bigger repairs if you can't do them yourself. I still love my truck but probably would buy a gasser if I did it all over again.

Edited by HI5-O

Have had six diesels all Ford ranging from 88 7.3L thru 08 6.4L. I towed with all of them a 5er and cargo trailer and used as my daily driver. If you have a need to use the truck as it was designed as in hauling, towing and such then it will serve you well. If on the other hand it is bought and parked in the driveway and used as eye candy so you can say I have a big diesel truck you are wasting money. Buy it use it as it was built to be used you will be happy with it.

Maintenance is more expensive and yes fuel is more expensive but if your working a gas engine hard a lot you may experience more repair and maintenance cost, plus having the power and torque to move that big trailer is always more fun than having to keep the pedal mashed just to keep up in traffic. On the plus side it will hold it's resale value much higher than a gas model so when it comes time to replace it helps. Sometimes the lowest cost upfront is not always the lowest life cycle cost of a vehicle.

Best advice I can give you is on a new tier 4 diesel trade it in before the warranty is up. All the new emmisons requirements are over complicating these new engines and making for far more problems than they are worth.

6.0 sucked

+1, the Ford 6.0l diesel is trash, stay away!

I run a construction company with 21 diesel 1 ton service trucks since '99; prior to '99 we had gas 350s which needed new motors every 60K miles. The two '99s are still running strong, both with over 300K miles on them. Today we have 18 Fords and 3 Chevys, we started experimenting with the Chevys in 2008 because we could get them for ~$3K less than the Fords and the 6.0l motor gave us so much trouble. The Chevys have worked flawlessly.

Once upon a time we had some trouble with gas tank liners, but that's further back than you're talking about.

6.0 sucked

+1, the Ford 6.0l diesel is trash, stay away!

I agree to an extent. The 6.0L in stock form can be problematic especially the 03s. However a 05-07 6.0 with smart mods like head studs, egr delete, stc fitting and a coolant filter can make for a very reliable truck, in my opinion more reliable than a 7.3. I know it seems like a lot of mods to make them reliable but for the prices you can pick up a low mile 6.0 it can make it worth while. Im in no trying to convince the OP to buy a 6.0 just stating my personal opinion.

What do you guys think about those factory extended warranties?

They are pricey. Ford's top end plan runs between 2,600 and 3,000 when I called them up to price them out.

I know repairs can be pricey, but nearly $3k to cover you upto 100k miles seems stiff.

I am tempted to set aside the $3k, keep my maintenance up to date and take my chances. Then if I need the $3k it is on hand and use it for repairs, otherwise it is rainy day......or limited gun build fund. Lol

I am tempted to set aside the $3k, keep my maintenance up to date and take my chances. Then if I need the $3k it is on hand and use it for repairs, otherwise it is rainy day......or limited gun build fund. Lol

I like that plan. Extended warranties are generally expensive relative to the potential costs they insure against. The value of risk management is a personal judgement, but as a rule, the harder the sell, the worse the deal.