Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650. Any ideas on getting left over primers out of the shoot?

I just leave everything in my press, when I'm done with my reloading session, I leave the ram in the "up" position. I use to worry about clearing the press out every time, but I don't now. Takes too much effort! When I come back for a new session, I run a few rounds, and check the powder/oal/crimp again to ensure nothing has changed.

Edited by polizei1

I do not know how this can be, but it is.

Previously, I had been emptying the primer tube and starting with a fresh batch each time. Got tired of cycling the handle and waiting for a primer to appear. So now I stop at an arbitrary point and begin again when ever.

No what happens is after about 8-10 cycles, somehow a primer gets turned sideways and jams up the 650. I have to disassemble the shell plate and then empty the primer tube assembly and then disassemble the primer feed mechanism and clear the jam. Then reassemble and load primers.

This has happened five or six times. Doesn't make sense.

So now I am emptying the tube and starting fresh.

Can't win for losing.

I do not know how this can be, but it is.

Previously, I had been emptying the primer tube and starting with a fresh batch each time. Got tired of cycling the handle and waiting for a primer to appear. So now I stop at an arbitrary point and begin again when ever.

No what happens is after about 8-10 cycles, somehow a primer gets turned sideways and jams up the 650. I have to disassemble the shell plate and then empty the primer tube assembly and then disassemble the primer feed mechanism and clear the jam. Then reassemble and load primers.

This has happened five or six times. Doesn't make sense.

So now I am emptying the tube and starting fresh.

Can't win for losing.

I just had this exact issue happen to me and this is how I fixed my problem: Remove the shell plate and primer assembly. Pay close attention to the position of the oval piece of metal that is partially covering the bottom of the disk. I didn't realize it, but when I was changing from large to small pistol primers, I didn't tighten the oval piece exactly centered between the holes in the primer disc. The slight amount that it was off was enough to not let the primers drop the way they wanted/needed. I centered the piece and instantly, all was well.... Hope this helps.

J

I either leave them full or use them all up. If I leave them full I just place an inverted bullet into cases with powder. If I use them all up I keep a sized and deprimed case in station#2 and next session fill the tube and manually index the wheel until a primer is ready to be seated.

Pull the handle of the press down a little bit and manually click the activating lever on the primer assembly with your finger and they will go right down the primer chute, you should put a little barrier to keep them from flying off the ski jump at the end.