Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to the 2011 World with Questions

Iceman2733

the one thing folks won't tell you about when it comes to having a gun built, is just how stress full it can be.

Until you have someone that you really trust to make your money spent worth every dime, you are better off staying away.

There are a few guns smiths around the country that are very good, and there are other (some big name smiths) who will build you a $3k paper weight, and turn around and tell you it's some how your fault...

Even when the gun is built by a good smith, sometimes the gun has to be sent back for tweaks which is a stressing ordeal on its own.

If you can find some one that you fully trust, and it's local to you. You've hit the jack pot.

The whole exercise is allot easier if you already have a gun to get you by. If your first STI is a custom build there's allot of room for unmet expectations..

Get an edge, start shooting limited.,

Once you find as smith you trust, if you still have the itch for a custom go for it.

As for me, I'm kind of going backwards.. Started custom, and now I rather have factory with minor tweaks..

Nicely said....

Guys I have another question I am looking at going ahead and picking up a guide rod for this gun since I have read so many people not liking the recoil master. My question is can the plug used with the recoil master be used with a standard guide rod? I have tried searching and couldn't find much info on it

Yes. I has a full length guide rod and am using it with the stock reverse recoil plug that came with the gun.

Thank you very much I thought it was possible. Also is there certain FLGR that fits very good without fitment? I am looking at getting an SS guide rod and had read that I need to look for one for an STI frame so it won't require fitment

Well in my sti (made in 2011) I bought a EGW flgr which is probably one of the most recommended here. I also bought the egw reverse plug too.

I use the reverse plug from egw instead of from sti. The sti plug inside diameter is much larger than the guide rod diameter. The egw plug is a perfect fit and was a drop in combo.

Guys I have another question I am looking at going ahead and picking up a guide rod for this gun since I have read so many people not liking the recoil master. My question is can the plug used with the recoil master be used with a standard guide rod? I have tried searching and couldn't find much info on it

I tried using it on my gun. It wont fit properly. End up going to the smith coz my flgr got stock.

I would just have a reputable smith Build you what you want.Even a great forum like this has a few dishonest types that will unload their junk on you. Yeah, PRANAVDC, I am talking to you. I purchased a $2200 limited gun that needed $1400 to make I safe to shoot.I have seen countless factory STi, that just don't run. I have had 2 limcats built, and. They were flawless.The best part is, when small parts do break, and they will, his guns are covered by a lifetime warrenty.You break it, he fixes it.

Well the gun finally made it to me. I ended with a CRP Edge figured it was a good start considering everything on it I wanted done anyways. Love it I can not believe how smooth it is. I can't wait to get out and take this thing to the range. Already picked up a Dawson tool less guide rod and some mags and gram followers.

My only downside is the gun showed up with a little surface rust on the hammer :( I was very dissapointed heck it was built early this year I dunno if the 6 days in transit got it or what I am hoping some oil and a rag I can get it off

Edited by Iceman2733

You can't go wrong with Dawson or Brazos. If you want to stay around 2k, look at the classifieds, that's what I did. If I had it to do over with again, I would buy a new one and get it exactly how I wanted it. If you're going to spend that much money on a gun, why not spend a little more and get what you want.

I did both...bought a very slightly used edge, 200 rounds fired through it, and placed an order with Mclearn to build me one. The build wont be done for some time but I dont have to wait to shoot limited. The edge has been great but it also convinced me to order a custom. There are certain things I want done that you cant just buy off the shelf.

Edited by Prov1x

Ok...i bought a dawson precision guide rod and an egw plug, however the dawson guide rod will not work with the egw plug. There seems to be a little hump on the back end of the guide rod, toward where the spring compresses to, and it makes the spring hang up because that little hump catches the plug.

I also tried a different guide rod with the egw plug and it works but it almost sounds or seems like the slide is dragging a little. like its not smooth but rough and dry, yes it was lubed. It doesnt sound that way with the recoil master in.

I guess I will have to see how it functions later because i am shooting area 4 this weekend and dont have time to figure it out. (this is on my sti edge)

Edited by Prov1x

That is odd have u tried the Dawson plug that comes with the guide rod? Mine doesn't have any issues like that I did have to fill a little off of the top of the plug for it to slide into the slide easily

it wasnt a reversable plug. it was a standard plug for a bushing gun but arent the guide rods the same?

When i ordered it it said it would fit all 2011 guns but i guess it was talking bushing 2011s.

I just went through a similar journey coming from a Glock 35 to my first STI.

• The Edge with a trigger job is all you need to run well.
  • I built mags from STI tubes, Grams followers, and Taran basepads. No tuning and the all run perfectly. Each holds 20 rounds no problem.

I shot a couple of matches and did the following:

• Drilled and tapped the mag release for a big button - it was nicer, but not completely necessary.
  • The stock beaver tail grip safety with thumb relief was cutting into the web of my thumb so I replace it with an EGW. That solved the problem.
  • Replaced the thumb safety for the extra large SVI version just because...
  • Replaced the Recoil Master with a FLGR and 12lb spring. I tried an 11, but the heavier spring brings the sight back better for me

Sounds like a lot, but I think you could have a great time shooting the STI with just a trigger job. The rest is really nice to have and can wait until you shoot it a bit and figure out what you need.

Lester

Which Beavertail did you get from them could you link it to me by chance? I am having the same problem. Thanks in advance

That is odd have u tried the Dawson plug that comes with the guide rod? Mine doesn't have any issues like that I did have to fill a little off of the top of the plug for it to slide into the slide easily

it wasnt a reversable plug. it was a standard plug for a bushing gun but arent the guide rods the same?

When i ordered it it said it would fit all 2011 guns but i guess it was talking bushing 2011s.

Yeah, you got the wrong set. There's one for bushing and one for bull barrels. That's why the plug doesn't work.

Yeah, you got the wrong set. There's one for bushing and one for bull barrels. That's why the plug doesn't work.

I know the plug wont work because its for bushing barrels but shouldnt the guide rod work with the reverse plug that came in the gun? I figured all flgr for 2011s would be fine. The dragging of the slide that I described is what I think is wierd.

I know the plug wont work because its for bushing barrels but shouldnt the guide rod work with the reverse plug that came in the gun? I figured all flgr for 2011s would be fine. The dragging of the slide that I described is what I think is wierd.

Yes the dawson FLGR should work with the factory reverse plug. This is the setup I'm running in my executive and was approved by Dawson after I (like you) ordered the bushing kit instead of bull.

-424D57