Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calling Doubles

russ2400

Were those doubles called when someone was shooting an open gun with a comp and red dot?

I am trying to figure out how that matters...at all? We aren't scoring gear, right?

There is also the ... skill levels of the shooters involved as well.

Pretty sure that doesn't matter either. We score the targets.

Let me give an example of both.

I was running one of my best shooting buddies, who happens to be a GM shooting Open. He is shooting the classifier, "Can You Count". 5 shots on 4 targets, at close distance. I go to score the targets, he has 19 Alphas. Try as I might, I can't find that last hit. I gotta score the target, not what I think happened. Had to call the Mike.

Something similar happened to me, as a Production GM (like that matters). I lost the Indiana Production match by a "perfect double". I'd taken a short cut on this stage, that had me finishing by shooting the last array around a wall, strong handed. I had gained about 3-4 seconds due to the short cut, so I had time to over aim...and I did. These were close targets...I had 7 perfect Alphas on the array...and the "perfect double." The RO called out the Mike. Man...I looked at that target HARD. Even though the bullets holes whole oblong (since I shot around the wall), and even though I over aimed and KNEW I nailed it...I couldn't see any evidence of a 2nd hole showing on the target. If I was calling the target, I would have called it a Mike too.

We have to score the target, not what we think should/might have happened.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put me with the shooters here who have seen more than one "perfect double." In fact, sometimes I see more than one in one day if I'm zeroing. Even using a card to measure and look for any extra grease ring outline it is tough if not impossible to see a second shot in the paper. For reference, pretty much every time I used to slow-fire zero my open gun at 15 yards (I haven't shot much lately), standing, it was one ragged hole. I'm not the only one that applies to by any stretch of the imagination. People should be able to call what they think is a double without fear of being called for "unsportsmanlike conduct." Just referencing how many people in this thread alone have seen a "perfect double," how many people do you think have been screwed out of higher placing in a match for alpha/mikes?

Maybe we should have two RO's following each shooter, one watching the shooter, the other watching the targets. Most of the matches charge enough where you'd think they'd be able to pay the RO's to do it. }:D

Maybe we should have two RO's following each shooter, one watching the shooter, the other watching the targets. Most of the matches charge enough where you'd think they'd be able to pay the RO's to do it. } :D

Isn't that how it's supposed to be done? That's what I was taught to do!

I agree totally that the targets are what gets scored. I miss is a miss and a hit is a hit no matter what and who you are.

The question on equipment and skill to the OP is an observation I have noticed that people with open guns and red dots generally have tighter groups on the targets and that as the skill level of the shooters goes up their groups also get tighter.

Overall, If there is not a hit on the target, it is a miss no matter what they are shooting be it a slingshot or a 15k race gun. :)

As an aside, I am currently saving up for a .40 open gun :-D The red dots and comps are calling me! lol!

Were those doubles called when someone was shooting an open gun with a comp and red dot?

I am trying to figure out how that matters...at all? We aren't scoring gear, right?

There is also the ... skill levels of the shooters involved as well.

Pretty sure that doesn't matter either. We score the targets.

We have to score the target, not what we think should/might have happened.

• 3 weeks later...

In the 2011 SC State Match I had the craziest double ever: There was a stage that required you to engage an array then pick up an ammo can, engage another aray strong hand only and then dump the ammo can into a big box that activated a dropout. I had a double from 15 yds away, on the move strong hand only with an ammo can in my other hand! The Scorekeeper corrected the RO when he call A/M, scorekeeper says "You better look again, I saw him drill that from a long ways away one handed" RO steps about a foot closer and turns around and says "Double alpha". I definitely had some pucker factor going at that moment..

I was taught the RO watches the gun and the score keeper watches the hits. Perfect doubles can happen but in this sport you get penalized for perfection. You wouldn't want every mike to be turned into a double, would you? :blush: