Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tendonitis

dtuns

I've been dealing with a bad case of it since I ramped up training for Area 1 in February. Stretching properly and (later) strengthening the area are about all you can do. Sorry to hear you are dealing with it.

I used to get it in the elbows when I was practicing hard and heavy 2x a week plus the Sunday club matches. easing up on the shooting cured it

Ditto

That Plus dry fire reload drills, I practice with junk mags loaded full with dummy ammo, and that constant pounding of slamming the mag home brings it back

I've become an expert on it. ....ended up having surgery on both elbows. My right elbow got so bad I couldn't pick up a glass of water. It's an over-use injury and tendons don't have good blood flow to allow quick healing. Unfortunately even with the surgery it has taken about two years to overcome most of the pain.

The four BEST things you can do to help is, 1) immediately ice your elbows after your activity (shooting, lifting, racketball, etc), 2) take ibuprofen, 3) stretch (you stretch by bending your wrist in both directions (I can provide some diagrams if you like), and 4) wear a counter-force brace while you do the activities that cause the damage (do a google search for "Band-It brace").

What happens is that continual inflamation over many years will result in dead tissue around the tendon that won't heal. Minimize the inflamation and you prevent further damage.

To give you an idea, when you have the surgery they open up your elbow and cut out the dead gray tissue. Then they used what I call a sharp ice cream scooper to scallop away at the bone. This allows blood to come out of the bone and get to the tendon.

Before having the surgeries I tried everything and deal with the problem for seveal years. I tried the steriod shots several times..if your elbow is bad, the steriods are only a temporary relief...usually about two weeks. Then the doc sent me to physical theropy which just made the problem worse. Then I tried what's called Platlet Rich Plazma theopy, which was probably the most painful thing I've ever done in my life...that didn't work. Finally I found Dr. George Paletta (St. Louis Cardinals Surgeon). He did my right elbow in 2010 and I had my left elbow done in December 2012.

Like I said, I've been dealing with this for years. I still wear the counter-force braces to prevent further damage, and ice, and stretch, and take ibuprofen. Let me know if you have any questions.

Darren

Edited by ExtremeShot

I was hurting pretty bad late last year just before winter. I figured it was a muscle imbalance in my forearm that my ex-tensors needed to strengthen. I bought these:

http://www.ironmind-store.com/IMPROVED-Expand-Your-Hand-Bands153-10-Bands/productinfo/1376/

With everyone hyped up on Captains of Crush, these are needed too. And after working the other parts of my forearms, along with stretching and ice I'm back to 100%. It did suck for a while, but after working low and moving up I'm pain free. Even after shooting or using my hands all day around the house.

Darren

I have the brace and it helps but have to make it pretty tight to work well. Ive also been icing whivh helps problem is Im a machinist and its hard not to use it. Im trying to go a few weeksr without shooting but its hard been a week so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I've become an expert on it. ....ended up having surgery on both elbows. My right elbow got so bad I couldn't pick up a glass of water. It's an over-use injury and tendons don't have good blood flow to allow quick healing. Unfortunately even with the surgery it has taken about two years to overcome most of the pain.

The four BEST things you can do to help is, 1) immediately ice your elbows after your activity (shooting, lifting, racketball, etc), 2) take ibuprofen, 3) stretch (you stretch by bending your wrist in both directions (I can provide some diagrams if you like), and 4) wear a counter-force brace while you do the activities that cause the damage (do a google search for "Band-It brace").

What happens is that continual inflamation over many years will result in dead tissue around the tendon that won't heal. Minimize the inflamation and you prevent further damage.

To give you an idea, when you have the surgery they open up your elbow and cut out the dead gray tissue. Then they used what I call a sharp ice cream scooper to scallop away at the bone. This allows blood to come out of the bone and get to the tendon.

Before having the surgeries I tried everything and deal with the problem for seveal years. I tried the steriod shots several times..if your elbow is bad, the steriods are only a temporary relief...usually about two weeks. Then the doc sent me to physical theropy which just made the problem worse. Then I tried what's called Platlet Rich Plazma theopy, which was probably the most painful thing I've ever done in my life...that didn't work. Finally I found Dr. George Paletta (St. Louis Cardinals Surgeon). He did my right elbow in 2010 and I had my left elbow done in December 2012.

Like I said, I've been dealing with this for years. I still wear the counter-force braces to prevent further damage, and ice, and stretch, and take ibuprofen. Let me know if you have any questions.

Darren

Thanks for the info

I was training real hard a few years ago for one of the world shoots and shooting 4-5 days a week and several hundred rounds per day and had a bad flair up on my elbow. It got so bad I could hardly pick up a glass of water. My shooting partner at the time was going to a Acupuncture Dr and she was getting great results for the issue she was dealing with and suggested I go and give it a try as I had all ready been to a couple of regular Drs with no results.

I was a total non believer in Acupuncture this treatment to say the least but to my surprise after 6 treatments I was free of pain and back to my practice routine and made world shoot too!

I have back issues also and went to see the acupuncture Dr for that to and refereed several other friends with back issues and all have gotten great results.

Might not work for everybody but it did work for me!

I have the brace and it helps but have to make it pretty tight to work well.

Be careful about tightening the brace too tight....I wore the brace for a year or so before the surgery...used the brace while shooting, lifting weights, etc, and I had it tight like you say. I started feeling tingling and numbing in my thumb and it wouldn't go away even without the brace on. The doc told me that wearing the brace too tight compresses the radial nerve.

When I had the elbow surgery for tendon, they also "released" the radial nerve (sliced open the sheath that it glides in).

D

• 2 weeks later...

my friendly physical therapist informed me that I got bursitis in my support side elbow and not tendonitis; didn't want to tell him I'm pounding out 1k rounds a month or more (stop it, I know that's low but we cant get no powder out here in the middle of the Pacific fricking ocean). solution is ice and NSAID or anti-inflammatory drugs.

Edited by blaster113