Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

more rounds in the magazine?

olp73

B) More rounds!!

I have a witness limited that takes 12 rounds in 40sw. Does anybody have an idea how to get more rounds in to the magazine? Is it possible to trim the follower? Or maybe someone makes +2 pads for these guns? Or maybe both?

Olp73

Thats about all you can do. The CPMI extensions give you 14 in the mag, with the follower trimmed and the indent cut out of the magazine. 14 rds just is not enough for Limited.

However, these make fine L10 guns.

Al

How many rounds do I need then? I am from Norway and here we shoot IPSC. Witch means we can not extend the magazine so much, like you can in US. It has been a long time since I was an active shooter so, actually I don’t know what people use anymore.

How many rounds do a IPSC legal STI or para take?

olp

Flex,

no magazine restrictions in Norway. Besides UK, the only restriction I know of is that 9mm max in Denmark.

olp73,

With a small frame Tanfoglio, the best you can do is 14 rnds. I get 18 in my SVI. I would say that you should have 17 rnds. minimum. There are a lot of 16 rnd stages where you really don't want to do a reload. Where in Norway are you located?

even

Even, I am located in Oslo!! Do you know anyone there?

Since you are asking, I mean!

Are your 18rnd SVI IPSC legal? Or do you shoot USPSA?

I am asking because then I know what I am up against. I haven’t

been on a shooting range in many years but that will soon come to

an end. My witness is 10 years old but it has to do for some time.

olp

Are your 18rnd SVI IPSC legal? Or do you shoot USPSA?

I am asking because then I know what I am up against. I haven’t

been on a shooting range in many years but that will soon come to

an end.

Welcome back!

I'm from Denmark (the country with the "nothing bigger than 9mm" rule).

I get 18 rounds in my IPSC legal (Standard/limited class) H&K USP Expert, and 18 in my stock STI mags with Grams follower kits, and 19 in my SPS high capacity mags.

I shoot IPSC with a bunch of guys with all kinds of guns, the "worst" being an 8 round Springfield 1911. 8 rounds is just not good enough... My friend shooting a 16 round Pardini frequently has problems with mag capacity, in my opinion 18 rounds is minimum, anything less gives you a handicap. 19 is a delight, 20 is possible (a friend shoots a SVI with 20 round mags).

But of course this is all 9mm....

Fast Fumble, Denmark

guys,

I watched Dave Sevigny at the Georga state match this year just run away from most limited shooters and he was shooting 10 rnd magazines. I don't know if he was shooting production or Lim-10 but he was fast, he was smooth, and I believe he was first!!!

Reloads during a COF should not be a great handicap unless you are having to do standing reloads. Everyone has to move btwn target arrays which is the perfect time to reload.

Having said all that, I shoot "normal" capacity mags with 18-19 rounds in them. But I see an awful lot of people shooting with 10 rounders and smokin' the competition.

FWIW

dj

olp,

I'm really puzzled.

I've read the specs on Tanfoglio website for this gun, but it's simply not true (according to what I see on the ranges).

A lot of shooters here in Italy have used this gun, but IIRC the mag capacity they were getting was in the 16 rounds neighborhood.

You could try and use the Limited HC Custom mags, I know they hold 16 rounds: they are item # 61 on Tanfoglio website, Components section.

AFAIK, they are, like several other components/accessories, interchangeable between the Limited and the Limited Custom models.

Thank you guys! You are just too nice!! I have checked a little my self and it looks like Julien is right. If you go to www.tanfoglio.it you will see that there are 3 models here. One Tanfoglio limited, one limited custom and one limited custom HC. Witch I guess means high cap. The last one are listed to take 15 rounds in 40sw. what I don’t know is why this takes more rounds. I mean, is it the magazines, does it have a fatter frame? I don’t know!!

Can be that my prayers are answerd by Arredado? If this kits are for the small fram!!??

Tangfolio / EAA Teflon Follower & Spring Kit

20 Rounds with 38 Super, 17 Rounds with 40 S&W

TFFSK

$16.00

38 Super 40 S&W

olp

olp,

better check with Ralph because I have the feeling that the kit is for Limited HC Custm mags (being them composed of spring and follower only).

In the meantime, I'm checking with a couple of teammates about the frame/mags interchangeability.

I'll let you know in a few days.

Ok,

I've got some issues cleared.

First of all, you and Julien are correct: the Limited gun is based on Tanfoglio small frame (9mm), thus mags are not interchangeable with the Limited HC Custom ones, because the latter gun is based on large frames (.45").

You might want to try the following: IF you have spare room on the bottom of the IPSC box, you could try to find a gunsmith that would cut (split) two mags, and weld together the longer parts. This is what some italian Open shooters are actually doing to get a big stick for small frames tanfoglio guns (none is OFM manufactured, sadly).

4-1-4.jpg

IIRC, John MArtz was doing the same to build .45" ACP lugers... :blink:

Another possibility would be fitting the top end of your gun onto a large frame, but you'd still need to buy the frame and all its internals, because they're different.

I need to check the feasibility of this with a fellow shooter who has both frames and slides, I'll be back on this by a couple of days.

Just for adding to my confusion I found this data on Tanfoglio’s home page!!! Gun no. 6 is mine, I think! According to this it looks like only the custom HC and the stock custom are using the big frame, but of course it can depend on the magazines as well. I have written a mail to Tanfoglio to get a strait answer. According to Eric G. all his guns open and limited/ production use the big frame. It is hard to imagine that he is wrong about this!

Skywalker, I really appreciate your engagement here!! Thank you for your help. If the Open guns use the small frame. Do you think it is possible to use the .38 super kits in my .40 or is this a total crash??!!

Tanfoglio tec.data

olp,

the open guns I referred to were in 9x21mm (silly Italian version of 9x19mm): these guns are based on the small Tanfoglio frame (as yours).

EricG's and all .38" super Tanfoglio Open guns are based on the large frame, due to the fact that the .38" Super cartridge exceedes maximum OAL of 9x21mm, thus mags and frames have to be longer.

I don't think you can fit a .38" super kit to a .40" (small frame) mag: first, it won't bring you any good regarding capacity, second, I guess the .38" follower would be quite prone to escape from .40" mag lips.

At present, the only three solutions I can think of are:

1. Change gun.

2. Try to fit your upper end (slide and barrel) onto a large frame.

3. Try to build a longer mag with the method I highlighted above.

#2 needs to be technically checked, I think I can come up with an answer in the next few days.

#3 needs to be checked with the spare room your gun has in the IPSC box.

OLP,

no disrespect intended to the other posters, but your 12 round Tanfog will be a great gun to get back into IPSC shooting. Just concentrate on the fundamentals until its obvious your gear is holding you back and you will be shooting at a very high level,

Good luck and hope the sun shines up there soon,

P.D.