Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Ultimate Truth

Lifeislarge

I don't think there's much of a threshold for accuracy, you're either accurate or you're not in this game. An A is an A, a B is a B etc. There is however a threshold for which you can achieve accuracy at speed. Because of the way points are calculated in this game there must be a marriage of both in order to achieve superior results. Lately I've been cheating on accuracy and courting speed and my marriage sucks.

Until it was beat Into me that you must be able to shoot accuractly at speed to be successful I was not really getting anywhere. I was always focused on accuracy and planned to work on speed next, but that didn't work. Now that I work on them at the same time I'm seeing improvements. And I'm not talking about movement,I'm talking about being able to stand and shoot accurately at speed. Once I reach an appropriate level I'll then start to incorporate moving and shooting accuractly at speed. I don't know a lot but one thing I do know is that if you can't stand and shoot accuractly at speed you'll never hope to be able to move and shoot accuractly at speed ...

I may be way off base here but I think that if one can't manage to shoot classifiers at better than a C or even B classification level (stand and shoot at speed) one should not be focused on movement skills ... Fundamental USPSA shooting skills are where the focus and biggest payoff will be .....

Instead of thinking of speed and accuracy as independent, I wonder if there is a way to do both?

Hmmmm,......speed + accuracy = spaccuracy. I'm gonna shoot "spaccurately." I'm hoping to achieve "spaccuracy" on this stage. Now I'm talking about "one" thing/concept. I'll just picture myself doing it over and over and apply this new word. Lol, might work for someone.

I don't know a lot but one thing I do know is that if you can't stand and shoot accuractly at speed you'll never hope to be able to move and shoot accuractly at speed ...

I may be way off base here but I think that if one can't manage to shoot classifiers at better than a C or even B classification level (stand and shoot at speed) one should not be focused on movement skills ... Fundamental USPSA shooting skills are where the focus and biggest payoff will be .....

It took me 8-9 years, but I believe you are dead nuts right. I spent my first real money on a movement class years ago, not saying it didn't help, it did. But I do believe if I would have spent that money with a GM covering basic stand and shoot stuff, ...... Draw transitions, etc..... I might be further along at this point. Just "hustling" can mask some shooting related problems. You can kinda fool yourself a little by hustling and moving faster/more efficient. In the end, you gotta learn both, but I agree, hindsight being 20/20, this is first and foremost a "shooting" sport. You got to know how to shoot at speed accurately standing still.

I don't know a lot but one thing I do know is that if you can't stand and shoot accuractly at speed you'll never hope to be able to move and shoot accuractly at speed ...

It took me 8-9 years, but I believe you are dead nuts right. I spent my first real money on a movement class years ago, not saying it didn't help, it did. But I do believe if I would have spent that money with a GM covering basic stand and shoot stuff, ...... Draw transitions, etc..... I might be further along at this point. Just "hustling" can mask some shooting related problems. You can kinda fool yourself a little by hustling and moving faster/more efficient. In the end, you gotta learn both, but I agree, hindsight being 20/20, this is first and foremost a "shooting" sport. You got to know how to shoot at speed accurately standing still.
Thus... The Bill Drill???

Instead of thinking of speed and accuracy as independent, I wonder if there is a way to do both?

Hmmmm,......speed + accuracy = spaccuracy. I'm gonna shoot "spaccurately." I'm hoping to achieve "spaccuracy" on this stage. Now I'm talking about "one" thing/concept. I'll just picture myself doing it over and over and apply this new word. Lol, might work for someone.

Shoot accurately as fast as possible.

"If you're not forcing or trying, I've proven it to myself over and over that it does not take any longer to shoot an A than it does to sling a hit."

"You can shoot only as fast as you can see. High-speed seeing results in high speed shooting."

Brian Enos

Edited by toothguy