Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger 22/45 MKIII Trail Lite Magazines not seating

GlockOp

Wonder if any of you have encountered this problem. This is a new Ruger 22/45 MKIII pistol with 5 new MKIII Magazines for the 22/45. They are very close to inserting but not locking up all the time. I removed the barrel, disconnect etc. and the problems remains the same. The mag release does not return full to the left all the time. Possible the mag release needs polishing. Anyone know how it is removed in this pistol?

• 4 months later...

I have had the same issue with several of the Ruger MKIII 22/45's. I have found that the magazines will not seat reliably by pushing them straight up, even if you push hard. You can tell they are not seated properly by feeling the magazine release on the right side of the frame. If the magazine is not engaged the mag release will not be flush on the right side. I have found that if I push the mags forward (toward the barrel) while pushing up they seat every time. I have not removed the mag disconnect safety on mine yet, but I am planning to. Hoping that mod will correct this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a brand new 22/45 out today for its first 320 rounds. The mags would not seat consistently and the slide would not lock back every last round. On mine, it appears the tension on the slide lock detent is just a little too much for the magazine thumb button to overcome. When I got home, I oiled the contact points on the frame and on the slide lock lever and everything seems to be better. If I have to, I will smooth the frame nubbin down a little to make it easier for the slide lock detent to slide over it.

This was about the stickiest new gun I've bought. Lots of things will need to wear in for everything to work. Fortunately for me, I've shot 1000 rounds through a borrowed 22/45 and it was stiff when new and is fine now, so I'm expecting mine to be the same way--another 300 rounds or so and all will be fine.

I hope yours frees up and fixes itself or you can find the interference and fix it quickly. Gun is a nail driver.

Joe

One fix would be to remove a small amount of metal from the top of the catch slot in the magazine. Use a small file that will fit into the slot and take a little off, test, remove a little more until it locks easily. Stop once it locks 100% as removing too much will be detrimental to proper feeding.

Guys, just take the damn mag disconnect out. It will make life so much easier. Make sure you buy and put the spacer back in. It will make life so much better. That and the loaded round indicator are the first two things that get discarded.....

DougC

What Doug said +1.

If you are planning to order the Volquartsen trigger kit, buy the MK-II version. The MK-II kit comes with the bushing needed to eliminate the mag safety. If you are going to go through the pain of detail stripping the your 22/45 you might as well get the most bang for your buck.