Search the Community
Showing results for tags '22/45'.
Found 3 results
So a friend of mine was cleaning out his safe and decided to sell me this at a steel. I know it has maybe a 1000 rounds on it. Where do I start to make this a sweet little open steel gun. I do plan on loosing the rail and the inexpensive dot for something like a vortex venom "6 moa dot". Thinking tandemcross Comp and Victory trigger, then voqartsen trigger group, extended mag release, bushing. Just my initial thoughts. Open to any and all options here so where do I start the project? Thank you
Wonder if any of you have encountered this problem. This is a new Ruger 22/45 MKIII pistol with 5 new MKIII Magazines for the 22/45. They are very close to inserting but not locking up all the time. I removed the barrel, disconnect etc. and the problems remains the same. The mag release does not return full to the left all the time. Possible the mag release needs polishing. Anyone know how it is removed in this pistol?
Two 22/45 Lite builds w/ Bearcave 90' C-More & Allchin Pac-Lite Comp My plan for the 2012 Ruger Rimfire World Championship was to go shoot, get a t-shirt, maybe win back my match fee, and of course, have a lot of fun. In summary, two fun days of shooting in limited and I also got to walk the prize table early enough to win a VQ TG2000 10/22 trigger group. However, instead of just being content with my MkIII 5” stainless with iron sights, fellow RFC member Sousa and several open shooters at the match convinced me to explore the world of red dots and comps. So at the match, I picked up a Pac-Lite Comp from John Allchin who was there shooting, as well as a 90 degree C-More mount from Barry of Bearcave Machining (he makes them for taccom) who was in my squad. For a platform, many folks were shooting the 22/45 lite and figured it would be a nice lightweight platform with a threaded muzzle ready for a screw on comp. So the week after the match, I went searching for a 22/45 lite but could not find one locally in stock. I wasn’t in a rush so I just placed an order at my local dealer and was told it may take several weeks and put on a waiting list. That same week, I went looking for some surplus stuff at another dealer and happened spot a NIB 22/45 Lite Talo and was made an offer I couldn’t refuse. Besides, I had several weeks to wait on the ‘gold’ version. Then of course, I get a call the next day from the other dealer saying several Lites came in and I could pick one up. I figured, why not and justified the decision to keep both so both my kids could shoot with them in several years. This also meant picking up another 90 degree mount and comp. So, here’s the Allchin comp. It uses two large ports which I like to make cleaning easier. I hate to clean guns and figured this may last longer between cleanings. I have a S&W 627 V-Comp (removable comp) that had the three thin slits opened up to one large opening. Even that thing clogs up with lead and crap so figured .22’s would be the same or even worse. As you can see, because the OD of the comp is larger than the barrel and the rear of the comp is recessed, there will be no visible gap between the muzzle and comp. This makes for a nice clean installation but for someone who likes to have iron sights available in the event the optic fails, the design of the compensator presented a challenge. Besides, Bearcave’s C-More mount was designed to allow irons sights to work with the C-More attached. Because the front face/edge of the front sight sits flush with the muzzle, the overlapping rim of the comp would hit the front sight base. I thought about cutting back the compensator, but that would expose the gap between it and the muzzle. I also though about chopping a portion of the front sight with a hack saw, but that would likely look too butch and make for a funny looking front sight. So, this is what I settled with: I don’t have any fancy equipment nor do I have access to a machine shop. I basically chucked up an end mill HSS bit to a Lowes/Skil drill press, secured the sight to a vise, and started cutting. Did some rough measuring as well as approximated the amount of relief needed if the comps were properly clocked with the ports up at 12 o’clock. Again, nothing fancy, a little rough, but better than a dremel. I’ll probably degrease and spray some black Aluma-hyde on the exposed metal later. The Allchin comp comes with two different thickness rubber o-rings to assist in clocking the comp to the barrel. With the OEM wave washer, it’s pretty easy to get things aligned. However, I found that the o-rings can tear after repeated installation/removal and my OCD personality wanted something a little more precise and repeatable without much effort once setup properly. So, given the threads are 28 tpi, which also means a pitch of 0.0357” and 0.0357” per revolution, I calculated the following: ½ turn = 0.0178” ¼ turn = 0.0089” 1/8 turn = 0.0044” 1/16 turn = 0.0022” 1/32 turn = 0.001” I screwed on each comp as far down as possible and then approximated how far away from 12 o’clock the ports were. So, if the ports were facing 3 o’clock (i.e. over rotated past 12 o’clock), that would mean the comp was about a ¼ turn over rotated and would need a shim in the area of 0.009” to get it to stop at 12 o’clock with a snug fit. McMaster Carr always has those hard to find nuts, bolts and widgets and I ordered a bunch of steel shims ranging in size from 0.001” up to 0.031”, which should give me enough combinations and permutations of shims to fit any application and variation. Here’s the C-More and the Bearcave 90 degree mount ready to be mounted. Both Lites have the standard fare of upgrades and modifications. Both have the ZRT charging handle as well at the closeout VQ 22/45 extended mag release buttons. I’ll be sure to post pics when done.