Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I'm REALLY new to Open (Magazine question)

frag316

So new, in fact, that I don't even have my gun in hand yet (it's being built right now).

I've been buying components and started putting together a list of tools and parts I'll need for spares.

I recently purchased some magazines from another forum member. Two 170mm and two 140mm. I think the gun will come with two 140mm magazines.

Both of the 140s and one of the 170s I just bought are the old style SVI mags. They have basepads that look a lot like the new TTI pads, but there's an allen screw on one side. Anyone know which company may have made them? I think the screw holes may be stripped (or it's a really odd size), so I'll probably replace them. The STI big stick has a Dawson basepad. All of them have unknown guts. The STI is a .38 Super mag with no spacer.

Anyone have recommendations for a good basepad? I don't think I can use any of the +X extensions, simply because the existing pads are fairly thin (I haven't measured them yet), so the mags are probably at the size limits for Open.

Also, I'm probably going to swap out the springs and maybe the followers. Any advice for those?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by frag316

LOL.

I like the Dawson basepads because they are super easy to take on and off for cleaning. I know there are other base pads out there that are probably similar. I've never had a reason to change.

Regarding the grams springs and followers...this is another one of those lessons that I had to learn the hard way. I started with SVI followers...they just kinda snapped onto the spring. During one match the follower came off the spring, the spring came up and over the top round, the whole thing was jammed up. I talked to Jeff M. about his solution, he introduced me to the Grams springs and connected followers. I've used them ever since.

D

Wife uses mostly Dawson +1 SNLs but we've recently moved one of her big sticks to a TTI 4mm to get a little room for her big stage starting mag. All our tubes are STI.

140s you can of course put as big a base pad as will run reliably since you won't get near the max length. SNLs at the moment but I think we're going to try some TTI 7mm soon.

At our house 170s get 13 coil grams kits, 140s get 11 coil grams kits. I played with the TTI guts in the big sticks recently during some experimentation, but seemed like no matter what I did the follower would flip at round 28 or 29, so went back to all grams.

-424D57

Hello: The basepads you have are SVI with the setscrew. I drill and tap them out to 8-32 if I can remember correctly. They are 6-32 right now. I use Dawson's and Grams basepads. The Dawson will get stuck if you shoot in areas with fine sand. The Grams work great unless you drop them on hard surfaces(may break). The Bolen/TTi base pads will bend and are a pain to remove twisting the spring. If you have old style SVI 140mm tubes use the Grams 11mm and you will get 24 rounds easily reloadable. The 170mm tube may need either a 2.5mm or 4mm to fit the gauge. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: The basepads you have are SVI with the setscrew. I drill and tap them out to 8-32 if I can remember correctly. They are 6-32 right now. I use Dawson's and Grams basepads. The Dawson will get stuck if you shoot in areas with fine sand. The Grams work great unless you drop them on hard surfaces(may break). The Bolen/TTi base pads will bend and are a pain to remove twisting the spring. If you have old style SVI 140mm tubes use the Grams 11mm and you will get 24 rounds easily reloadable. The 170mm tube may need either a 2.5mm or 4mm to fit the gauge. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Thanks! I really want to stick to metal basepads as much as possible, simply to limit damage. Not a lot of sand up here, but there is dirt.

I need to remember to add a magazine brush to my list of tools . . . .

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had problems with the 140mm SVI tubes with the second round down in the column pointing straight instead of up, thereby nose-diving into the feed ramp. This has happened to me at two steel matches. I just installed 9mm spacers and new followers. I hope this solves a very frustrating problem for someone like me who's obviously a newbie to SVI open guns. I do love the 2011 design and function with the C-more and the horizontal mount. If anyone has any experience with this problem, I'd be forever grateful for your input. For some reason this happens after the first two stages, so maybe a dirty feed ramp is making it harder for the rounds to slide into the chamber.

Has anyone had problems with the 140mm SVI tubes with the second round down in the column pointing straight instead of up, thereby nose-diving into the feed ramp. This has happened to me at two steel matches. I just installed 9mm spacers and new followers. I hope this solves a very frustrating problem for someone like me who's obviously a newbie to SVI open guns. I do love the 2011 design and function with the C-more and the horizontal mount. If anyone has any experience with this problem, I'd be forever grateful for your input. For some reason this happens after the first two stages, so maybe a dirty feed ramp is making it harder for the rounds to slide into the chamber.

What followers and springs are you using?

-424D57

Maybe not the place to put this but here it goes.

Bought(4) Brazo tuned 40 S&W mags with Grams guts, Dawson DP+1 basepads, and STI tubes. Could only get 19 rounds in the mags. I changed to the DP+1Plus SNL basepads and could get 20 rounds in the mags. Bought from member on this site.

I have (4) Brazo tuned 40 S&W mags with Grams guts and Dawson DP+1 Plus SNL basepads, STI tubes, all fit the USPSA gage. Can only get 20 rounds in the mags. Any advise to be able to get more rounds in the mags and still fit the USPSA gage?

Edited by 40S&W

Maybe not the place to put this but here it goes.

Bought(4) Brazo tuned 40 S&W mags with Grams guts, Dawson DP+1 basepads, and STI tubes. Could only get 19 rounds in the mags. I changed to the DP+1Plus SNL basepads and could get 20 rounds in the mags. Bought from member on this site.

I have (4) Brazo tuned 40 S&W mags with Grams guts and Dawson DP+1 Plus SNL basepads, STI tubes, all fit the USPSA gage. Can only get 20 rounds in the mags. Any advise to be able to get more rounds in the mags and still fit the USPSA gage?

Give the grams springs a couple of months to settle ... after maybe 3months of shooting my limited mags with grams guts ... they were 21rds non reloadable