Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using Xtreme 115gr HP 9mm w/ HS6 to making 9mm Major ?

RippSpeed

I have a 10k worth of Xtreme 115gr 9mm Double Struck/Plated Hollow Points that I'm planning on making into 9mm major for my open gun ... this is for only local matches and practice...

Anyone out there using this combo ...

-115gr 9mm Xtreme Double Plated bullets

-HS6 powder

-Small Rifle cci or winchester primers ...

Whats your load specs ???

please let me know where to start my load ... Thanx for the advise ...

Edited by RippSpeed

Load a 100 up to try, and shoot cardboard. my guess is that the bullets wont hold up at that velocity you will be running. Go slow, you may have a bullet frag going out of the comp.....I like the extremes but wouldn't run a plated bullet from anyone at major velocity....

DougC

I have been told that the Extreme HP's have a thick plating. I know one person here that has used them and said they work as well as his other load. I have not tried them myself.

That said I would load up a few and see how it goes.

I'd look for hs6 loads here for 115 grain bullets and start at least .3 grains less than jacketed. The plated bullets are going to seal better so a little less powder is going to give you the same velocity.

I'm running MG 115 gr JHP, Small Rifle Primers, with 10 gr HS-6 in 38SC...STI Trubor.

Edited to add: I don't think you can get the bullet in a 9mm case with 10 gr HS-6...unless you compress it.

Edited by Mark R

I have a 10k worth of Xtreme 115gr 9mm Double Struck/Plated Hollow Points that I'm planning on making into 9mm major for my open gun ... this is for only local matches and practice...

Anyone out there using this combo ...

-115gr 9mm Xtreme Double Plated bullets

-HS6 powder

-Small Rifle cci or winchester primers ...

Whats your load specs ???

please let me know where to start my load ... Thanx for the advise ...

I'm about to try some light fast bullets. I'm thinking nine grains will make major in a 5" barrel with no holes, although I would suggest starting at 8.0 grains and working up; if you have holes in your barrel, I think you're going to need a heavier bullet.

I pushed the 100gr extremes to over 1500fps with zero adverse results

I found a 380 round at the range, so I pulled it and loaded the little 100gr bastard over 9.1gr of SP2 and shot it out of my V12 Tanfoglio. It was stupid flat!

1480FPS with 12 barrel holes, so I think it would be close to major with my 5.1" CZ with no holes.

Yup I have a 5" No pop holes just a Brazo comp ...

I would start around 8.2 of HS6 and work up. For most barrels without holes, most are going to be in the 8.7-9.1(jacketed bullets, -.2 for plated or lead) and with holes, about 9.0-9.5(jacketed bullets, -.2 for plated or lead). I'm not sure of the profile of those bullets but for most RN bullets, make sure the OAL is at least 1.160.

Like Doug C said, watch for the plating to separate or they might keyhole also.